Vote for Best Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I had to laugh because I still have my 31 year old dorm fridge since 1985. My parents have their original GE fridge that's older than me. It's 55 years old from 1961. Lol They both we're demoted to beer/spare refrigerators a long time ago.
-Kurt
If it were fridges we were talking about then he'd be good, lol. They sure don't make appliances like they used to. I have a customer of mine who works for Samsung and said that the life expectancy of a new fridge is 8-10 years. They feel that if you've gotten a decade of use out of it then that is sufficient! Meanwhile, there are still coke machines around from the 50s still making nice cold drinks. Crazy isn't it?

Going to recommend the Cookshack line of smokers. I have two, an SM009-02 and a SM066. Quality built in the USA with exceptional dependability and customer service.

T
I can't say anything about a Smokin-It as I have never used one. But I can agree with Mr T.....my Cookshack is 14 years old and still gets used every week (well, most weeks). It has been my "go to" for a long time........and I have 6 smokers to choose from. No addiction here.....really.......lol

Brad

Sure, Cookshack's are the Bees Knees, IF you own the Hive! That a big chunk of change to lay out! I looked hard at the Smokin-it 5 years ago when the #2 had just come out. We had one at the Culinary School I taught at and it worked great. The MES40 was just within my budget for a first electric and has been very good to me. And my MES has no problem Cooking 12 hours then holding at 140 till I am ready to eat. The IT Alarm on the MAV goes off and I set the smoker temp to 140 while sipping a Beer in my Recliner...
biggrin.gif
...JJ

Sure, Cookshack's are the Bees Knees, IF you own the Hive! That a big chunk of change to lay out! I looked hard at the Smokin-it 5 years ago when the #2 had just come out. We had one at the Culinary School I taught at and it worked great. The MES40 was just within my budget for a first electric and has been very good to me. And my MES has no problem Cooking 12 hours then holding at 140 till I am ready to eat. The IT Alarm on the MAV goes off and I set the smoker temp to 140 while sipping a Beer in my Recliner...
biggrin.gif
...JJ
Don't take it personally. I am glad you love your MES! As for the holding at 140°, that's wonderful too but it's not the same. The SI does it automatically, you don't need to get out of your chair while drinking that beer, lol. I have a SI#3 but it's not the digital one, so I too would have to do it your way. That's usually not an issue though as I take it out when it's done, double wrap it in foil and hold it in a towel lined cooler BUT I do think that it's cool that you can go to the store, see a movie, whatever and let it worry about the meat. That is a neat feature to have if you have the $$$ to spring for it. Anyway, it's all good. I love all smokers and grills but I can only chime in about what I own and have experience with so thanks for taking the time to offer info about the MES!!

Don't take it personally. I am glad you love your MES! As for the holding at 140°, that's wonderful too but it's not the same. The SI does it automatically, you don't need to get out of your chair while drinking that beer, lol. I have a SI#3 but it's not the digital one, so I too would have to do it your way. That's usually not an issue though as I take it out when it's done, double wrap it in foil and hold it in a towel lined cooler BUT I do think that it's cool that you can go to the store, see a movie, whatever and let it worry about the meat. That is a neat feature to have if you have the $$$ to spring for it. Anyway, it's all good. I love all smokers and grills but I can only chime in about what I own and have experience with so thanks for taking the time to offer info about the MES!!
No matter what type of smoker one has or how much he/she loves it, IMO that's a bad idea, it's asking for trouble with that kind of thought. 

Stuff happens, just the other day someone's smoker caught on fire. Just sayin'

Last edited:

My retort was meant Tongue in Cheek. And since you have the analog and have to get up...HA! I got you beat...My MES40 has a RF Remote. I don't even have to get up. Bwwaaahhahaha...

Seriously, now that the SI has the Auber Electronics, it would be pretty hard to beat. When the time comes I would seriously consider the SI. My next Toy though, is going to be a Pellet Pooper. Going to have to do some fancy talking to get the $2000 price past my Accountant. 
wife.gif
...Take care Guy...JJ
icon14.gif

biggrin.gif
...JJ
I agree with Jimmy, and I have an MES 40 Gen #1 for 6 years--Still works Great, and an MES 40 Gen #2.5 for only a year. Only add-on is my AMNPS to get perfect smoke.

It seems to me like the Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse, the Smoking-it, and the Cook-Shack are all good units, because the guys who own each of them love them.

I like the fact that I can use my MES 40 in Freezing PA weather without a problem, and I can look what's going on in there without opening the door, because the door is mostly glass, and I can make changes in Temp or shut it off from my recliner in my living room during a game.

All this for less money than the others.

Bear

No matter what type of smoker one has or how much he/she loves it, IMO that's a bad idea, it's asking for trouble with that kind of thought. 

Stuff happens, just the other day someone's smoker caught on fire. Just sayin'
I have a Tappecue and I go off all the time with my smokers rolling. I have 3 Kamados, 2 Pellet Grills, a Pit Barrel Cooker, a drop in NG gasser and the SI3. I keep them clean and safe. As for the electric, you have as much to worry about cooking with your oven indoors as I do with the SI outdoors. Not an issue to run out and leave it.

My retort was meant Tongue in Cheek. And since you have the analog and have to get up...HA! I got you beat...My MES40 has a RF Remote. I don't even have to get up. Bwwaaahhahaha...

Seriously, now that the SI has the Auber Electronics, it would be pretty hard to beat. When the time comes I would seriously consider the SI. My next Toy though, is going to be a Pellet Pooper. Going to have to do some fancy talking to get the $2000 price past my Accountant. 
wife.gif
...Take care Guy...JJ
icon14.gif
Pellet poopers a great, you won't regret it. If I had my druthers, I'd have a setup like Steven Raichlin, every smoker and grill known to man, lol. I love them all!

I have a Tappecue and I go off all the time with my smokers rolling. I have 3 Kamados, 2 Pellet Grills, a Pit Barrel Cooker, a drop in NG gasser and the SI3. I keep them clean and safe. As for the electric, you have as much to worry about cooking with your oven indoors as I do with the SI outdoors. Not an issue to run out and leave it.
Not an issue until that one time something goes wrong.

I guess if the smoker is far enough away from the house, garage, etc., and something happens to go wrong, one is out of a smoker and what was in it. But, if....blah, blah, blah, it could be ugly. I don't leave the house with the dryer running. Stuff happens.

Last edited:

Not an issue until that one time something goes wrong.

I guess if the smoker is far enough away from the house, garage, etc., and something happens to go wrong, one is out of a smoker and what was in it. But, if....blah, blah, blah, it could be ugly. I don't leave the house with the dryer running. Stuff happens.
Exactly---I won't leave mine "Smoking" home alone, because I have it on my Wood front Porch, under a wood roof, on my All Wood House. It just isn't worth losing everything we worked all our lives for.

We have insurance, but would rather not use it, and everything we own is in that house.

Bear

Exactly---I won't leave mine "Smoking" home alone, because I have it on my Wood front Porch, under a wood roof, on my All Wood House. It just isn't worth losing everything we worked all our lives for.

We have insurance, but would rather not use it, and everything we own is in that house.

Bear
biggrin.gif
 You're just an old worry wart!

I'm not trying to tell anyone what or how to do anything. Just suggesting to be careful, that's all.

I would personally vote for the Masterbuilt line. You said you want more space so I would go with a 40" Bluetooth Digital. I have been using Masterbuilt for a long time, and they always stand by their product and have the best service. They are much cheaper than smokin it for the same thing, and still offer comparable features.

If you are looking on a budget, I would go with a Masterbuilt 30" 20076716. I think it is the best smoker under $350 IMHO. or if you don't want to even spend that much a basic Masterbuilt 30" or 40" is a great way to go.

Any appliance, gas or electric, must be kept clean (what manufacturer says otherwise?).  In many cases, before I purchase anything, I do a search for product recalls whether it be a smoker, a washing machine, a blender, a lawn mower and the list goes on. The internet, and forums such as this, can make everyone a more prudent shopper. 

LAerSmoker:

Although I'm not the first, I'll be glad to join the group recommending Smokin-It electric smokers. This is coming from a long-time BBQ cook that used pretty much everything except electric. When I decided that I'd like an electric smoker for the convenience, simplicity and ability to cook in all weather, especially the cold part of the year, I did my research as you are. While I will continue to utilize my charcoal rib cooker and Weber Smokey Mountan and Weber Kettle, they are all different animals. My SI purchase was the SI 3-D. After reading about all of those "purists" that had to have probes going several different ways and digital readouts on multiple devices and free-standing PID controllers, I read about the new SI 2-D, 3-D and 4-D with the Auberins PID controller built in. The benefits are simple and appreciated. The PID controller keeps the heat exactly where you want it, usually within a degree or two. If you're cooking for IT (internal temperature), you have a second meat probe that keeps the IT showing during the smoke. You can set the program to your specific needs for the meat you are smoking. Feel free to check out the SI website for information.

As I side note, a good friend of mine that previously owned a Masterbuilt, was my inspiration to purchase an electric smoker. After I bought mine, his shot craps and he went out an bought another manufacturer's smoker. He told me that I spent too much on mine back in January. While I won't mention the device he bought, after using it for a while and comparing it to ming, he's wishing that he bought an SI. His wife is mad at me because he now wants an SI 3D like mine. You get what you pay for, and in the long run, the way these things are built, it should be an economical purchase. Happy Smoking.

JackT

I have had Bradleys both regular and digital, they served me well. mes older models and the 40" window which ended up still being poj.

I bought The Sausage Maker 30b digital and it blows the other electric away. Yeah pricy but worth it.

I would personally vote for the Masterbuilt line. You said you want more space so I would go with a 40" Bluetooth Digital. I have been using Masterbuilt for a long time, and they always stand by their product and have the best service. They are much cheaper than smokin it for the same thing, and still offer comparable features.

If you are looking on a budget, I would go with a Masterbuilt 30" 20076716. I think it is the best smoker under $350 IMHO. or if you don't want to even spend that much a basic Masterbuilt 30" or 40" is a great way to go.

I would second this choice if you are on a tight budget. I just bought a model 20076916 (same model as 20076716 except color) 30" MES. Paid total of $190 (including shipping) direct from Masterbuilt. It's the latest gen 2.5 version, but with an RF remote control instead of Bluetooth. Gives me a chance to play with an electric smoker and I can always buy a much nicer one later.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

"Best"... touchy question.   I would recommend researching several brands, have a broad idea of how much you want to spend, consider quality, materials, components, customer service, anticipated use, value,  and make the best educated decision you can at the time.   

In reality it wont be your last smoker if you fall into the trap most of have, so don't stress too much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky