Vortex Rack of Lamb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Shopped at Freezermart and found a cute little rack of lamb at a decent price. Thawed it and hit it with some Worcestershire, S&P, and then onto the Weber, Vortex set up with a little chunk of hickory
DSCN2732.JPG

Got some nice smoke rolling and the temp was climbing fast. Pulled it at 130º, must have been not much more than 20 minutes, let it rest a bit.
DSCN2733.JPG

I think the carryover must have had in the 135º range, perfect for me. Plated it with a buttered up red tater and some creamed spinach.
DSCN2734.JPG

It was tender enough I could have cut it with a fork but all I used my fork for was the sides, ate those chops down like chicken wings, some mint-apple as always
DSCN2735.JPG

When it was all over there wasn't even enough left to let Bob lick the plate, this will be my go-to method from now on. Might try a fillet steak using the Vortex tomorrow, seems to work on just about everything just fine. Thanks for lookin' in, stay safe out there! RAY

looks tasty !

Thanks Dan, it was! Thanks for the Like too, I appreciate it. RAY

OH yeah.... I love the lamb! How long did that take to smoke to 130? I'm amazed at the crust you got for such a short cook!

I wasn't much paying attention to time Tucker due to having my TP-20 stuck into it. I was really surprised at how fast it climbed up, I say maybe 20 minutes, 25 tops. The Vortex gives beautiful crispy skin on chicken legs and wings, I ws thrilled with the bark on this rack. Thanks for the Like Tucker, I appreciate it. RAY

Hi All Would the Vortex work on a WSM 22" Thanks Dan

I got no idea tho I think they're made to work in a kettle. RAY

Nice Ray . Great technique and finish on the temp . Love red taters baked like that .

Thanks Rich! I keep finding more ways to incorporate the Vortex on cooks all the time, it's become about the most valuable tool in the box along with the SnS. Thank you for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it. RAY

Looks delicious ray

Thank Jake, it was about the best one I've ever done. Between the Vortex and TP-20 there was no guess work, easy peasy! RAY

Wow! Nice! Great job bud!

Thanks you Justin, and thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Rack of lamb is my favorite part of lamb. That votex did a fine job. Nuce work RAY!

Thanks Travis, I'm gonna use the Vortex again tonight on a fillet steak, works great! RAY

Ray...the dinner looks fantastic but those ribs are gorgeous!! They stole the show for sure. I have a rack in the freezer that I received from our friend Jake ( TNJAKE TNJAKE ) in the Christmas exchange that I'm dying to cook. I believe you have inspired me my friend :emoji_wink: Excellent job buddy!!

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Ray...the dinner looks fantastic but those ribs are gorgeous!! They stole the show for sure. I have a rack in the freezer that I received from our friend Jake ( TNJAKE TNJAKE ) in the Christmas exchange that I'm dying to cook. I believe you have inspired me my friend :emoji_wink: Excellent job buddy!!

Robert
What I sent you are actual lamb ribs. You'll wanna cook them like pork spare ribs
Screenshot_20210201_092010.png

Very nice, I could eat a rack of those.

Thanks BB, that rack worked out perfect for me, my wife doesn't eat lamb, I ate it all. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Ray...the dinner looks fantastic but those ribs are gorgeous!! They stole the show for sure. I have a rack in the freezer that I received from our friend Jake ( TNJAKE TNJAKE ) in the Christmas exchange that I'm dying to cook. I believe you have inspired me my friend :emoji_wink: Excellent job buddy!! Robert

Thanks Robert! Looking down below seems Jake sent you a slightly different cut, he says to cook them like pork ribs, I'd think that means low and slow? These cooked like chicken legs using the Vortex, took about 20 minutes and I will do a rack of lamb this way every time in the future, came out perfect. Thank you for the Like amigo, I do appreciate it. RAY

That looks Freaking Awesome, Ray!!! Nice Job! Like. Bear

Thanks you John, the Vortex is becoming for me what the AF360 is for you, I'm finding a ton of different way to use it. Thanks for the Like Bear, much appreciated. RAY

Nice job Ray! Love it! Al

Thanks Al! It was a treat I'll be making again soon, just picked yp a couple more racks at Sam's this morning. Thank you for the Like Al, I do appreciate it. RAY

Looks delicious Ray! Ryan

Thank you Ryan, and thanks for the Like, much appreciated! RAY

That looks fantastic, Ray! Perfectly cooked, and it only took 20 minutes? Amazing. The whole plate looks delicious, but I agree with Robert, that Rack stole the show. Great job.

Beautiful rack of lamb Ray! You sure get great use out of your vortex! I’ve had lamb once in my life, if I try it again, I’d want it cooked just like that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky