Vision Baby Back Ribs Today!! Lots of Q/View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokefever

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Martinsburg WV
Hello again everyone!!  Being stuck in a kitchen all day yesterday when it was sunny and 63 degrees outside definitely had me thinking about bbq.  The wife brought me a pretty incredible haul from Sam's Club, so as you can imagine I am jumping right in with both feet
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

So this morning when I got up I put together some rub, removed the membrane off the baby backs and rubbed 'em down.  I wont disclose ALL the ingredients in the rub, but I will say that the classic seasonings are in it. . . . light brown sugar, chili powder, Cajun season, paprika, salt and pepper, a little cinnamon and some other things.

Here is the gameplan.  This is only my second smoke on the new rig so I will be tinkering around with different settings to help me get that target temp and hold it throughout the cook.  I am gonna shoot for a temp of 230.  I am using Royal Oak Lump Charcoal and a combination of peach/apple wood for smoke.  2-2-1 method for today, misting the ribs with apple juice/apple cider vinegar every 20 mins after the 1st hour until its time to foil. When I foil them, I'm going to put a can of sprite in there with them.  I use sprite pretty frequently when foiling.  Not sure the science behind it, but it definitely works well and imparts a mild citrus flavor to the meat.  While all that is going on, I am going to be making a Memphis-style bbq sauce.

Here are some shots of what I have done so far this morning. . . . . . . .

The rub before mixing

I'll be firing up the smoker here in a few hours.  Stay tuned for more View!!!

Ok, so I got the sauce made and have a couple pics to show of the process. . . .so here goes

Sweated some Vidalia onion together with minced garlic

To it I added some ketchup, mustard, Worcester sauce

Next I added some rub, molasses and light brown sugar

Strained the sauce, retaining only the liquid

Took the ribs out of the fridge and have them all ready to go onto the cooker

Dang it, I overshot my target temp of 230.  Smoker is holding steady at 259.  I am hoping that this wont affect the outcome too severely.  I have the top vent shut all the way as well as the bottom ones to starve the fire.  There must be a draft coming through the electric starter port so it looks like I may have to get some silicone and fix that.  If anyone else owns the Vision Pro C series, please chime in and let me know what you have done to keep temps down around 225-230

At the halfway point and so far everything looks good despite the temp spike.  I haven't been able to get the cooker to come back down to temp so its been steady between 250-257.  So far no pullback on the ribs and I foiled them as planned after 2 hours and added some sprite to the foil.  Here's what they look like at this point

I too have a Vision Pro. I have found that you need to adjust the vents about 40 to 60 degrees befor it reaches 225 and then it will hold pretty close throughout the cook.

I too have a Vision Pro. I have found that you need to adjust the vents about 40 to 60 degrees befor it reaches 225 and then it will hold pretty close throughout the cook.
I dialed it back once it hit 215.  When I say dialed back I mean I closed the two bottom vents.  The right one completely and the left one between zero and the 1st setting.  Top vent was closed in between zero and 1 as well.  The temp continued to rise a few degrees every minute or so until settling on 257.  I tried to starve the fire by closing everything completely but the temp remained at 255.  I'm thinking that I just dampered down too late.  Maybe turn them back when it's 175-180 and see what happens.  Either way, I love this thing.  Steaks are amazing on it, pizza and now hopefully ribs.  I got the large adjustable rig and oval stone for it at ceramic grill store and that definitely helps with cooking longer meats.  Would love to hear how you set yours up and what successes you have had with it!!

Just finished up eating and I gotta say I am very pleased with the results.  Temps didn't bother this cook one bit.  I unwrapped at 1hr 40 minutes since the heat was high for the first half of the cook.  Anyhow, on to the pictures. . . .

Right at 10 minutes before getting pulled off the cooker

Had to sneak 1 before I took them off the smoker 

Lighting is horrible, but man these were some tender ribs!!

Perfect bite

And here we have it all plated up. . . . . Baby Back Ribs, Bacon Mac n Cheese and some Buttered, Steamed Broccoli.  Thanks for looking everyone!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky