Vintage Hobart Slicer Restoration

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bubbonehead

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Centerville, TN
A few months ago my Mother-in-law gave me this Hobart 411 slicer. I committed to restoring it when I found time. I finally got around to starting the project this weekend. There are a few pieces missing. I found a couple on-line. The rest I'll have to make myself.

80172a43_IMAG0412.jpg

This is what I'm starting with. Notice the adjustment handle is missing, found that one on-line (not cheap). Part of the mechanism underneath I'll have to make.

a60eac3a_IMAG0415.jpg

There's a big dent in the motor housing that I'll need to pound out.

f9159f89_IMAG0418.jpg

The sharpener is missing also and not available. That's going to be a tricky one.

1f3b2ef6_20120520_151245.jpg

So now I've disassembled and started polishing parts.

30141f59_20120520_151217.jpg

Time consuming work, but sure is shiny! This is going to take a while to complete but it should be really nice when it's done.

Is not the part labeled Hobart the sharpener? or is it an add on set of stones?
The sharpener is a set of stones and mechanism that sit under that cover that says Hobart.

ed419925_Sharpener.jpg

Looks like this. This is a photo from the website I found a couple other parts on but they only have the picture, not the real thing.

Reactions: driedstick
I gave up trying to find the OEM sharpener. I bought one for a newer model in hopes of being able to figure out how to make it work for me.

The geometry of the two slicers is different enough that I soon realized this wasn't going to be easy.

I decided my best bet was to rig something up using my lathe to sharpen the blade. I take the blade off the slicer to clean it anyway.

d9e9f797_20120527_170649.jpg

First I made a shaft like the one that the blade bolts to on the slicer that I could put in the lathe chuck.

Then I made a bracket for the sharpener to bolt to. I know it looks simple but trust me, getting the geometry and angle just right took a little doing.

65b15291_20120527_170633.jpg

5835eead_20120527_170308.jpg

I put oil on the stones like I would when honing my knives. Can anyone tell me if that's the correct way to use these?

The blade definitely got way sharper than it was.

No, it is done dry, and now and then rinse off the unit and stones with high pressure hose, like a garden hose and clean them as little bits of meat and fat clog the stones.  Great setup and a lot of ingenuity!  That is the one thing about a slicer; if you don't have sharpening stones, you don't have a slicer.  I'd definitely get a pair of cutting gloves handling the blade!  From AceMart: (www.acemart.com)

Victorinox

[h3]Recently Viewed Products[/h3]

[h1]Large Cut Resistant Knife Shield Glove, Each[/h1]
ITEM NO: FOR86104

Ships Free  with Orders Over $400!

$18.48

87 ITEMS AVAILABLE

Qty                                      1                                       2                                       3                                       4                                       5                                       6                                       7                                       8                                       9                                       10                                       11                                       12                                       13                                       14                                       15                                       16                                       17                                       18                                       19                                       20                                       21                                       22                                       23                                       24                                       25                                       26                                       27                                       28                                       29                                       30                                       31                                       32                                       33                                       34                                       35                                       36                                       37                                       38                                       39                                       40                                       41                                       42                                       43                                       44                                       45                                       46                                       47                                       48                                       49                                       50                                       51                                       52                                       53                                       54                                       55                                       56                                       57                                       58                                       59                                       60                                       61                                       62                                       63                                       64                                       65                                       66                                       67                                       68                                       69                                       70                                       71                                       72                                       73                                       74                                       75                                       76                                       77                                       78                                       79                                       80                                       81                                       82                                       83                                       84                                       85                                       86                                       87                                    

(No reviews)

Be the first to
 Write a Review

[h2]Product Details[/h2]
The KnifeShield glove from Forschner offers an outstanding level of cut resistance while maintaining the tactile feel necessary for performing food prep tasks such as slicing, boning, filleting, and more (note: this glove is not cut proof and will not protect from sharp points, serrated blades and meat saws, or chopping cleavers - use a stainless steel mesh glove for these tasks). The durable Spectra and polyester sheath offers protection from cuts while providing a flexible, less slippery feel. The comfortable interior is excellent for longer periods of use. Features:
  • Unique elastic over banding in cuff for comfort and safety
  • FDA and USDA approved materials
  • Washable and bleach safe materials
  • Ambidextrous design
[h2]Features[/h2]
Overview
Unit of MeasureEach
Weight (lbs)1.9
SizeLarge
ColorWhite
Manufacturing Information
ManufacturerVictorinox
Manufacturer SKU86104

Did you check out this from Hobart?  Don't know which ML you have, but may be able to order it in parts form or as a completed unit.

http://www.hobartservice.com/parts/default.aspx

Go to SmartParts and enter your ML no., it will show a list of parts and if you select a View % it will show an exploded view with corresp. part identifiers.

Last edited:
Way to go Pops!  I was looking at this, and you beat me to the punch!  Great job!
icon14.gif

I am so jealous of this slicer.  Oh well, I can dream.

Looks like it is going to be a challenging but rewarding project 

Thanks Pops! I have a pair of cut resistant gloves like that but mine have little rubber bumps on them for improved grip.

Unfortunately the parts that I need are no longer available from Hobart. I was able to download the manual though.

I guess I better get back to work on it. I don't want to be without it too long and I can't wait to see it all shiny! 

OK Friends, it's been a long weekend. So many things to get done in two days.

2c17b870_20120603_110137.jpg

First I started building this retaining wall so that I can get the level part of my yard closer to the woods. Now I need dirt! Some day I'll build a proper work shop out there, in the mean time no more chasing balls out into the woods.

38b2f591_20120603_175937.jpg

Loaded up my 2010 Ultra Limited so I could take her to the dealership in the morning. Something weird happening with the radio speakers cutting out.

A month and a half left on the warranty, might as well let them figure it out.

Also took my eldest grandson for a bicycle ride through our little town.

He thinks I'm being cool spending time alone with him.

Truth is I really need the exercise. We have fun, wind blowing his hair (I have none), girls calling his name and waving, me sweating profusely and panting.

3d3c1f38_20120603_173747.jpg

I did get to spend some (a bunch) of time polishing this piece. Not there yet, Man this thing has seen some use?

The bolt that it pivots on, I actually had to press out after cutting it off!

Dang! Forgot to repair the two year old's bed! He broke using it as a trampoline!

Bubbonehead, that is really going to look good.  It suspect that with it sharpened and everything cleaned so it is smoother it will be a real pleasure to use and will work as well as it looks.  Hopefully you've got a spot where you can park it and use it without having to move it much.  They are too heavy to want to tote around often.

We've got a pair of them and although we don't use them often we do use them for sandwich steaks during deer season and for processing bulk cold cuts.  They sure make short work out of big jobs.

Lance

Thanks Lance,

I plan to keep it on the microwave cart in the first photos. I just need to add some lockable casters to it.

We have a large old farmhouse but like many 19th century houses the kitchen is quite small by modern standards and what is one the other side of the walls keeps me from enlarging it.  We built a fairly large pantry into a nearby room but it doesn't lend itself to having a cart so I tote a slicer into the kitchen when I need it.

Nancy had a 10" commercial slicer that had been given her by a friend before we met.  About 5 years ago at a local government auction I bought a 12" Univex 8512 automatic slicer listed as non-working that had the blade ruined beyond saving by improper use of the sharpener and honer.  When I tore it down there is a nylon worm gear that acts as a sacrificial item to protect the other gears and that was partially sheared.  I replace all the wear items, lubed it and lucked into a new in the package blade on Ebay for around $70 shipped.  I've got about $340 in the slicer.

At some point we'll likely sell the smaller one or donate it to one of the local outfits that serve free meals.  Like yours it was made when metal was cheap and it weighs about 130 pounds.  The big one is "only" 110 pounds.

If you are like me and like to do big batches when you do things like bacon, Canadian bacon, cured and smoked boneless chops etc you are really going to like the efficiency in getting through a big batch of meat.

I really liked the smoker build thread and am looking forward to seeing this one finished.  Have you decided on a paint color yet?

Lance

I'm still toying around with color. I'm leaning toward something like a deep dark cranberry. I think that would really set off the polished aluminum parts and would look good in our kitchen.

Dang, I can't let Nancy see that.  She thought your smoker was cool but if she saw a cranberry red slicer she'd have me prepping and painting her original one.  I've got enough projects backed up now that my projects have projects.....

Lance

After a few weeks with no time to work on the slicer, and with triple digit temperatures all weekend I decided it was time to stay in the garage.

One weekend last summer my AC quit on me and I had to run out and buy a small window unit to get us through til Monday when I could go buy an $8 capacitor.

After the central air was back on I claimed the window unit for the garage. Man is that nice! How did we ever survive without AC?

62cda3e2_20120630_163950.jpg

This is my version of one of the parts I am missing that is part of the mechanism that sets the thickness of slice.

I have no idea how much this may or may not look like the original, but it works and you can't see it when it's assembled. 

After installing it I realized I didn't have full range of motion because I had made this too short. So I cut it in half and welded a 1/4" extension in the middle.

This is where it goes on the under side. Here you can see the extension.

Here's the top side view. Sorry for the shaky video.

Today was more disassembly, cleaning parts and removing the old paint.Not a whole lot to show other than a pile of cleaned and stripped parts, but for some reason I've logged on twice now and the buttons that allow you to do things like post pictures are missing.I'll add a pic later if the buttons return.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky