Video games?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am currently playing on PS4. I play Red Dead Redemption 2 a lot. It's a western game. If you are OK with violence and bad language I would recommend it. Also play a lot of Diablo III and Civilization 6.
How is Civilization on the PS4?

My SIL is a big gamer and I tried a shooting game with VR headset. Don't remember what the name of it was but it was fantastic! I only played it once because I know something horribly addictive when I see it.

Reactions: 912smoker
It is pretty good. They had all sorts of upgrades you could get for the game (New Civs, leaders, wonders etc.) and now I think you can get them all in one package. Used to play Civ II on the old playstation years ago as well but it wasn't nearly as involved as this one.
I always liked Civ on the computer (I think 3 was the latest I played), but I got tired of the computer coming up with battleships
when all I had was sails and jets when I was just getting airplanes.
I may check it out. The most I can do is lose and I'm used to that....

Wasted many a hard earned quarter on Space Invaders, Asteroids, PacMan, Galaga, DigDug, FoodFight, SpyHunter, you name it. Still have the patterns and strategy committed to memory. Had most consoles Pong through PS4 and trying to score PS5 this year for Christmas. For some reason I stayed away from PC games. Not sure why. I played a few of the PS4 Dark Souls franchise titles a few years a pop and man those were hard games. Very cool time to be a gamer with all the options. I have a buddy who's kid is monetized on YouTube making well over 6 figures doing walkthroughs. Could talk games as much as smoking but admit I do not have the time I used to play.
Man Dark Souls is just too damn hard!! I tried the 2nd one and gave up on it in one day lol. Speaking of Pong I was the only kid on our block to get it. That bouncing blip on the Tv was high tech and the whole block was at my house daily play.
Cool thread SmokyMose SmokyMose .
Anyone remember 'Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards'? Hilarious game on Apple PC from the early nineties.
Lol Leisure Suit Larry was HILARIOUS!
I am currently playing on PS4. I play Red Dead Redemption 2 a lot. It's a western game. If you are OK with violence and bad language I would recommend it. Also play a lot of Diablo III and Civilization 6.
I played the original Diablo and liked it. After playing a lot of others I never could get back into those top down view games. I just bought Red Dead 2 on the Wpic launcher last week for $29. Wish I had wa yes another week since Steam had it on sale then. I grossly prefer Steam and 90% of the games I own are on Steam. I will start playing that over the holiday break. I have 16 days in a row off.

Reactions: zwiller and chopsaw
I haven't been on my gaming PC in 8 months . Started it up today and steam spent hours updating . You guys are gonna make me fire up left for dead 2 . Lol

I haven't been on my gaming PC in 8 months . Started it up today and steam spent hours updating . You guys are gonna make me fire up left for dead 2 . Lol
Funny you say that. Last weekend after I bought Red Dead I fired up mine for the first time in probably a year. I spend darn near two hours on Windows updates , Nvidia driver updates and a host of other updates including Steam and Epic. By the time all the updates were done and game patches applied my attention span was shot and I didn’t play it lol.

5-6 months ago I was bored and looked thru my Steam library to see if I had anything I hadn't played yet. Yeah right, probably 98% of them haven't been played of course. Turns out I'd played all of 6 minutes of Borderlands shortly after it 1st came out so I decided to try it again. I think I've probably got 300-400 hrs into the 4 games now and just have a DLC or two left. Its one of my favorite series and I'll probably play thru again with different characters. Others are the Elder scrolls games, Skyrim, Witcher series, Fallout series, , Assassins Creed Origins, Red Dead Redemption 2, Horizon Zero Dawn...

Not sure how much longer my pc is gonna be viable for gaming. Built it probably 7 yrs ago and upgraded the GPU a few yrs ago to a 1070Ti but components are just too spendy right now, IF you can find them. I've got a PS4 and I guess PS5 games are backwards compatible so that might be it for awhile.

Reactions: jcam222
Super Mario Bros III. That’s the only one ever. Well, of course everyone played Pong back in the day, so there’s that…

Rick

I haven't had the desktop gamer running for at least 10 years and if I found somewhere to set it up I would dread all that updating, etc.
It's XP and I don't believe there are updates for that anyway. My laptop probably packs more punch.
I've gotten attached to my 24" screen for the PS4 and my armchair.
Made a trip to Gamestop today.
games.jpg $9.99 for the used Witcher and $14.99 for the Fallout still new in the wrapper.
Should be good for a while.

I always liked Civ on the computer (I think 3 was the latest I played), but I got tired of the computer coming up with battleships
when all I had was sails and jets when I was just getting airplanes.
I may check it out. The most I can do is lose and I'm used to that....
Yeah give it a shot. Just try it on one of the easier levels to start as there is a lot of new stuff to get used to.

In the 80s to the mid 90s I was heavily into the Dungeons&Dragons style of PC games.Might and Magic series was easily the best of those style games.Wizardry,Bard's Tale,Ultima series were great too.

The actual D&D Gold Box games were ok.The "newer" Baulder's Gate style games were outstanding...these were the last I played and that was close to 20yrs ago.

If you're truly nostalgic about all the old school PC games GOG.com has all of them playable on modern PCs.

SM, I've been playing vid games since my Dad bought PONG for our TV back in the early 70's. The wife thinks I'm bonkers but I love the hand/eye coordination stimulation. I'm terrible at the new BF series but LMAO.

I also played some Tetris, Donkey Kong, and Berzerk during happy hour on Friday afternoons. My wife played Freddy's Revenge on her parents PC Junior.

Chirs

I remember the first Video "Odyssey" game we had, back in about 1972, right after I got out of the Army.
You had to put a plastic sheet on the TV, that would stick fast.
That sheet had a Ping-Pong net in the middle of the screen, and the ball went back & forth on it's own. All you could do was move your paddle up & down to hit the ball, or just nick it on the top or bottom to change it's direction.

Here's what it looked like, about 50 years ago:
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 5.30.22 PM.png

Bear

I remember the first Video "Odyssey" game we had, back in about 1972, right after I got out of the Army.
You had to put a plastic sheet on the TV, that would stick fast.
That sheet had a Ping-Pong net in the middle of the screen, and the ball went back & forth on it's own. All you could do was move your paddle up & down to hit the ball, or just nick it on the top or bottom to change it's direction.

Here's what it looked like, about 50 years ago:
View attachment 518199

Bear
Bear, We had that game also back in the 70's , games have come a long ways since then ! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky