Very first time smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Scott Plummer

Original poster
Mar 31, 2018
Boulder, CO
Couple questions for all you experts....

Concerning the temperature & thermostat:

- I have read on this forum, at BBQ stores and friends that the Maverick 732 or the733 are the best out there. I am getting tons of different opinions on other sites. Per Amazon the reviews are not as good as other products. At all the review site, the Mavericks are no in the top of the lists. What is this all about? Is the Maverick used by everyone by habit or maybe because that is what the masses are using. Are other top brands or highly reviewed brands essentially as good?

- There are tons of threads about the issue with the thermometer not match the Masterbuild electrical smokers. Don't want to rehash this issue, but I have a simple question. Should the change my temp on the smoker to match the thermometer probe or stay the course with the set temp.

Thanks, I am sure I will have ton of questions and I hope I learn a ton on the way!

Reactions: SonnyE
All thermometers will have a tolerance they work within, but no two will be the same.
It is said here that the Masterbuilt temperature controllers are rather all over the map.
If you want certified accuracy, it costs. And it costs more.
Most get their choice, then do an ice water and boiling water test to get an idea of the therm's accuracy.
You'll have to decide who you believe in the review arena. Some are shills for other companies who get busy-work of doing negative reviews of competitors products. Some are just trolls. And then there is an actual owner in the mix.
Here we have a sponsor we like to recommend, ThermoPro. I recently got one myself and like it fine. I got the TP-08 because it does what I want, two temps, meat and pit, and has a healthy range.
So far, it has proved to live up to expectations. 20% discount, and 3 years on probes.
Compare that to your other options.

thanks. I went to my local awesome BBQ store, so lucky to have one close to me. He said either Maverick or what you recommended, Thermopro. The owner said the Mavericks is the most popular for a reason. Make sense.

Funny, I am hopefully near the end of my "stall". Fighting not to worry or crank up the heat!

We have 3 at our house. I own 2 sets of Mavericks for outdoor cooking . And my wife has one for her kitchen. They work well and I think are a great value. Solid built. One set must be 6 or 7 years old by now. You will need to replace the probes from time to time.. they short out occasionally. Mostly due to folks immersing them in water.
They are accurate and no quality issues.
I buy my mavericks and probes from Todd at A maze N. Good pricing and they support our site . B

I have a Maverick 733. Its quite accurate, but is a real PIA to get set up and ready to use. For that reason, its now my backup therm.
I bought a Thermoworks Smoke, and just can't say enough good things about it. Its extremely accurate--within 1 degree right out of the box--and has a much better range (distance wise) than the Mav. And its so simple to use that a child could do it. It's pricey, but well worth the extra money.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky