1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Vents on MES 30

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by RyanZ71, Feb 9, 2019.

1. RyanZ71

RyanZ71 Newbie

Brand new and first post. My question is about the vents on top. Mine do not close all the way is this designed this way. Looks like they both have tabs to stop them at about 1/4 way close. I’m smoking a roand roast. Inexpensive just in case I screw it up. Any tips would be great
    Thanks

SonnyE likes this.
  2. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Smoking Fanatic

I run mine vents wide open 24/7

Hawging It and SonnyE like this.
  3. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Always wide open.
    Let'r breath, let'r breath, let'r breath.
    Close the vent for storage to keep critters out.
    Or not...

4. normanaj

normanaj Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Yup.Vent wide open.

fivetricks likes this.
  5. RyanZ71

RyanZ71 Newbie

So should the vents close completely? Mine don’t

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  6. dr k

dr k Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

20181122_094826.jpg Mine closes to the tab so it is cracked open a little. Wide open the top vent is still half closed compared to the chip loader hole from the top damper mounting plate. I leave it wide open for burning pellets in the Amnps/mailbox mod and made a plug out of the chip loader if I want it for a holding oven without smoke but don't use it hardly at all. That's when I close the top vent as much as possible with the therm cables going into the smoker at the top vent and put an old dish towel over the top vent.

7. GATOR240

GATOR240 Smoking Fanatic

Vent wide open. I couldn't close mine on my MES 30 if I tried.

8. Preacher Man

Because of that sticky black stuff between the vent layers?

9. GATOR240

GATOR240 Smoking Fanatic

That would be correct! I've thought about cleaning it but its not hurting anything....maybe someday

10. dr k

I loosened the nut inside the smoker that holds the top vent on so i can wiggle it free from the sticky residue that hardens when cool but no longer clean it.

11. Preacher Man

What is that stuff anyway?

12. RyanZ71

RyanZ71 Newbie

Wells thanks everyone. Well my first bottom road came out juicy but pretty tough. My pot roast (chuck roast) came out tasting good but chewy and not nearly as tender as I wanted. I’ve smoked a pot on my side box Pitts and Spitts smoker and it came out crazy good. So I’m 1 out 2 or closer to .5 out of 2. I thought I would go with an MES for the ease and hassle free. should I be regretting after 2 fails? Or keep practicing?

13. weedeater

weedeater Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Don’t despair! Both of those cuts are generally tough pieces of meat that can get dry before they get tender. Try a simple butt for pulled pork while learning your smoker. Much more forgiving. Are you relying on the built in therms on your MES? They are notoriously unreliable!

Weedeater

14. GATOR240

GATOR240 Smoking Fanatic

Keep on practicing, you'll get the hang of it.

15. Preacher Man

b8afe47859cd7dca62c745b25f898e1b.jpg

GATOR240 and RyanZ71 like this.
  16. I tend to cut slices of tougher cuts thin, it helps.

17. dr k

It's all the stuff that makes up smoke: Water vapor, incompletely burnt volatiles and carbon.

18. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Sounds like pulling too soon. People are fearful overcooking will dry it out but the opposite is true with a smoker. What IT? I would take a roast to 205F.

Murray likes this.
  19. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

Hi Ryan!!
    In answer to your actual question, the newer models of the MES units have the top vent designed to not quite close all the way. I'm sure they have their reasons, but I like the fact that because of the inability to close it all the way, it keeps me from accidentally closing the vent on my Maverick Probe cables running through the vent to their positions inside the Smoker.

Bear

20. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

#1 Bottom Round is always tough, just like Top Round & Eye Round. Low & Slow helps, but slicing it Very Thin is the best way to deal with the toughness.
    #2 The Pulled Chuck Roasts shouldn't be too hard to get right---Maybe the Links below can help you: (They are ALL Step by Steps)
    Pulled Beef Chucky
    Twin Chuckies
    Chucky Burnt Ends
    Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky

For most other meats & many MES Tips, You can click on my Link---"Bear's Step by Steps": below:

Bear

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019 at 8:47 AM