Ventless MES 30 Mod Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mastercaster

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 15, 2017
Dogwood City, TX
I have a ventless digital MES 30 that I would like to set up for small batch sausage/sticks/jerky smoking. My current plan is to add an adjustable vent in top left of the unit and to either add an adj vent where the chip loader tube is on bottom right side or just pull the chip loader tube out as needed for airflow. For smoke, I want to use the AMNPS inside of the unit. I plan to never use the chip loader again. I’ll do the MB mod if I have to but prefer to keep everything self-contained.i would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. TIA

I have a ventless digital MES 30 that I would like to set up for small batch sausage/sticks/jerky smoking. My current plan is to add an adjustable vent in top left of the unit and to either add an adj vent where the chip loader tube is on bottom right side or just pull the chip loader tube out as needed for airflow. For smoke, I want to use the AMNPS inside of the unit. I plan to never use the chip loader again. I’ll do the MB mod if I have to but prefer to keep everything self-contained.i would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. TIA
I don't understand ventless digital MES 30.

Reactions: Mastercaster
It should have vent on top or if it’s a gen 2 modal it may be on the left on the side That should be all the vent u need as far as the chip loader goes probably need to leave it in other wise if u use an Amnps tray the pellets may burn to fast. Just push it all the way in or if u need to pull it out about an inche. That what I do and I can burn a tray of pellets for hours

It was an impulse buy on a trip to Bass Pro in 2005. I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I tried to use it a couple of times but everything tasted like a telephone pole.

Reactions: SonnyE
I don't understand ventless digital MES 30.

It should have vent on top or if it’s a gen 2 modal it may be on the left on the side That should be all the vent u need as far as the chip loader goes probably need to leave it in other wise if u use an Amnps tray the pellets may burn to fast. Just push it all the way in or if u need to pull it out about an inche. That what I do and I can burn a tray of pellets for hours

I know. It’s rare, like the Dodo bird. It ain’t got a vent. Hank2000-I figured putting an adjustable vent where the chip tube hole is would give me simpler control but I smell what you’re cooking.

It was an impulse buy on a trip to Bass Pro in 2005. I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I tried to use it a couple of times but everything tasted like a telephone pole.

I can imagine. Without a vent, it sounds like a creosote machine. No smoke circulation.
All my various smokers have leaked, or had intentional vents.

So you make a habit out of tasting telephone poles? I did some internet searching for MES parts and found a place that sells the replacement vent parts. My plan was to use a 3" duct cap with the 2.5" MES vent to make an adjustable vent opening where the chip loader goes to be able to control air flow to the AMNPS tray. I gave up the idea and just did the mailbox mod.

Here's a link to the site I was checking out, they don't have everything but you might find something that will work.
https://www.appliancefactoryparts.c...zV7QnGZpmPQvBkQygMOSaST2U5XbTmpBoClzMQAvD_BwE

Any pics of your smoker to put up?

928325CD-C2AC-4D29-B7E8-DFA36A918B3A.jpeg
DF356F2D-D0D4-4A3F-8440-DC1A42C0513C.jpeg
B6FDC218-81B1-4CFE-9461-5AE46D541B9D.jpeg

So you make a habit out of tasting telephone poles? I did some internet searching for MES parts and found a place that sells the replacement vent parts. My plan was to use a 3" duct cap with the 2.5" MES vent to make an adjustable vent opening where the chip loader goes to be able to control air flow to the AMNPS tray. I gave up the idea and just did the mailbox mod.

Here's a link to the site I was checking out, they don't have everything but you might find something that will work.
https://www.appliancefactoryparts.c...zV7QnGZpmPQvBkQygMOSaST2U5XbTmpBoClzMQAvD_BwE

Thanks for the links. I’ve been looking at using a couple of these 4” pinwheels...

6F5D995A-8BBB-4ECE-A8A1-24181653480A.jpeg

I have never used my chip loader in my new MES 40
I did use it in my gen #2 for the first smoke or 2 then made the MB
Now I just use the AMNPS with binder clips on the bottom bars
003.JPG
Richie

I have a friend who found a really good deal at Cabelas a while back, a analog MES with no external chip loader, you have to open the door to load it, and no vent??? I is going to drill a hole in the top and side and add a mail box mod, LOL, it would have to be a really good deal!

Incredible! No top vent. Do you still have the manual? It's like MB skipped a step by accident and shipped it. I'd be interested in what MB says on operating this one. Add a chip every fifteen minutes.

Incredible! No top vent. Do you still have the manual? It's like MB skipped a step by accident and shipped it. I'd be interested in what MB says on operating this one. Add a chip every fifteen minutes.

... by opening the door.
Thar's the vent! LOL!

I wonder if the vent was suppose to be under the panel the Digital is on.
Seems like a bad place to let heat out. But it's shaped like a vent.

Maybe the vent guy was off sick that day...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky