Venison weiners ( pic heavy )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
It was time to spin up some wieners after doing a little research here.
5# venison
5# pork butt
TSM wiener seasoning
Cure#1
20200325_155844.jpg

Small batch just used the kitchenaid. Used 8mm plate first and then ran it through the 3mm.
20200325_160847.jpg

All seasoned up and back in fridge to chill for a couple hrs.
20200325_170506.jpg

Time to get crank'n. Love this little 5# unit for small jobs. Was just going to pump out the whole string and then tie off, but after doing a couple feet I checked and had them stuffed so tight that I figured I would end up blowing out the casing numerous times. So measured out, twisted, and tied every 6" . Time consuming but worth it, as I had no blowouts at all.
20200325_184201.jpg

All stuffed and in fridge overnight.
20200325_194458.jpg

Next day fired up the MES 40, did a burn off and settled it in at 130° for an hr with no smoke.
20200326_120621.jpg

Turn temp up to 140, Auber PID was spot on keeping steady temp.
Amazen tube filled with Char Hickory, and let it roll for 2 hrs.
Notice the change in color after smoking.
20200326_150436.jpg

Into SV bath at 143° for couple hrs
20200326_150847.jpg

Iced down, peeled casings ( very easy) and washed up for packaging.
20200326_182655.jpg

Ready for the freezer. Thanks for looking !
20200326_185117.jpg

Dang they look tasty! By the looks your gonna need some good sized buns. I liked the color you got on them.

Ryan

Nice job. Just a note for you Skinless Dog folks...The initial hour, No Smoke, is to heat and dry the Natural Casing to get a nicer color and no streaks from condensation on cold dogs. Since Skinless Dogs have the plastic case removed, we don't care if they are Streaky and therefore you can start smoking from the beginning....JJ

Nice work bud ,,, great color . Did the casings come from TSM ? I was surprised at how much they stretch . I use the wiener seasoning , it's a good one .
Those are going to be good . Fantastic work winter .

Never tried venison wieners, but you got me thinking with that great batch.

Defrosted the freezer yesterday. Need to get ambitious on some venison products.
I assume you get pellets from Home of Economy. I've looked at the Char Hickory and passed so far.
Your comments on the smoke they produce appreciated.

It was time to spin up some wieners after doing a little research here.
5# venison
5# pork butt
TSM wiener seasoning
Cure#1
View attachment 437539
Small batch just used the kitchenaid. Used 8mm plate first and then ran it through the 3mm.
View attachment 437540
All seasoned up and back in fridge to chill for a couple hrs.View attachment 437541
Time to get crank'n. Love this little 5# unit for small jobs. Was just going to pump out the whole string and then tie off, but after doing a couple feet I checked and had them stuffed so tight that I figured I would end up blowing out the casing numerous times. So measured out, twisted, and tied every 6" . Time consuming but worth it, as I had no blowouts at all.View attachment 437542
All stuffed and in fridge overnight.
View attachment 437543
Next day fired up the MES 40, did a burn off and settled it in at 130° for an hr with no smoke.
View attachment 437544
Turn temp up to 140, Auber PID was spot on keeping steady temp.
Notice the change in color after smoking.
View attachment 437545
Into SV bath at 143° for couple hrs
View attachment 437554
Iced down, peeled casings ( very easy) and washed up for packaging.View attachment 437556
Ready for the freezer. Thanks for looking !View attachment 437557
Damn, those look awesome, that was quite the production.
Great post.

I just bought the same mixer and the grinder attachment, how does the grinder work for you?
I'll just be using it to make 5-10 lb batches of Italian sausage as soon as pork butts go on sale again.

Are house got broke into a few weeks ago and the bastards stole 2 freezers worth of meat, fish and my ducks and pheasant. I was more bummed about my meat than the sterling silver flatware set and gas and electric powertools.

Oh, and they drank my beer and a half bottle of Blanton's bourbon, I was not very happy about that either.

LOL, sorry for my rant, those look amazing and I love your kitchen, yes I am envious.

Nice work.
Dan:emoji_thumbsup:

Looks great. I have the same casings. I have hotdog seasoning I need to try. How do you check IT in the sv. ? My thoughts are if you poke them in the water, the water will rush in and have water logged hotdogs.

A really nice piece of work and well deserving of the carousel ride, cute little spotted dog in the second pic down! RAY

Are house got broke into a few weeks ago and the bastards stole 2 freezers worth of meat, fish and my ducks and pheasant. I was more bummed about my meat than the sterling silver flatware set and gas and electric powertools. Oh, and they drank my beer and a half bottle of Blanton's bourbon, I was not very happy about that either.
Nice work. Dan:emoji_thumbsup:

I read that on another and feel terrible for you. So they not only ripped you off but were hanging around having a frigging party! I guess the local PD doesn't even bother dusting for finger prints on something like that, tho they certainly should. What a pisser, they surely felt you were going to be gone for quite awhile. I hope they catch coronavirus! RAY

Reactions: 73saint
Fine job on the weiners. Good to see that the cellulose casings are being used.

Very nice! Perfect links. I've been wanting to try something with venison but I'm not a hunter and anyone I know who has it is a little stingy LOL!
(I wish I had that counter..)

Those look fantastic. Last time I looked for those casing I could only find them in large amounts. Id like to try them out sometime. I'll have to look again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky