Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 2, 2012
Marathon Wisconsin
Last weekend my family got together and we had a sausage making Saturday! We put enough venison and pork together to make 100lbs of summer sausage. We ultimately want to reproduce a summer sausage that my grandparents used get when they had venison processed.

We decided to start with Len Poli's venison summer sausage recipe so we could adjust the flavor. I mixed 15lb batches and added 1 TBS of powered garlic, 1 TBS cracked pepper and 2 TBS mustard seeds to the recipe. Deleted red wine.  We used Bactoferm F-LC for the starter culture.

We purchased a case of pork butts from Sam's Club so we made the rest into ham sticks.

Here are a few pictures from sausage Saturday.

Had 2 mixers and stuffers working most of the time.

My brother brought his stuffer and his SS table.

Stuffing ham sticks.

Drying sticks before smoking.

Finished sticks. Ran out of sheep casings and finished with larger collagen casings.

Summer sausage with clear casing.

With mahogany casing.

The Bactoferm F-LC is a fast acting culture so I smoked 1 stick at 24 hours just to see. The tang was there but not very pronounced. The next batch was at 36 hours then 48. The last 2 batches tasted the same with good tang.

I smoked the summer sausage with red oak until it reached 152 then ice bathed it. Both sausages turned out very good. I will try another extra TBS of garlic powder next year.

From time to time I share some of the SMF threads on my Facebook page. My sister brought a friend who has a large smoker does a lot of smoking but has never made any sausage. Jim saw a thread I shared of Todd Johnson's about smoking mixed nuts from Fleet Farm. Jim made the nuts from his thread and brought them along (which was kind of cool).

I would like to try making this an annual event to get everyone together. It will make better sausage makers out of all of us.

Thanks for looking!

Looks mighty tasty WC........
icon14.gif
  All my buddies just want to know when  the sausage is ready........ I haven't had any experience with Bactoferm F-LC but will be looking into it. Whats the difference  with using ECA for tang

Joe

Looks mighty tasty WC........
icon14.gif
  All my buddies just want to know when  the sausage is ready........ I haven't had any experience with Bactoferm F-LC but will be looking into it. Whats the difference  with using ECA for tang

Joe

I purchased both Bactoferm and ECA. I have never used either before. I went with Bactoferm because the Poli recipe was asking for starter culture and powdered milk.

Bactoferm F-LC

Range The SafePro[emoji]174[/emoji] range covers a series of specially developed bioprotective cultures
for application in meat products e.g. fermented sausages, fresh sausages and
ready-to-eat meat products.

Description F-LC is a bioprotective meat culture for optimal Listeria control in fermented meat
products. The culture ensures a reliable acidification and a good flavor and color
development.

Taxonomy
Staphylococcus xylosus
Lactobacillus curvatus
Pediococcus acidilactici

Application
The culture is recommended for the production of traditional North and South
European type sausages. The culture is suitable for molded as well as smoked
fermented sausages.

Bactoferm F-LC

Range The SafePro[emoji]174[/emoji] range covers a series of specially developed bioprotective cultures
for application in meat products e.g. fermented sausages, fresh sausages and
ready-to-eat meat products.

Description F-LC is a bioprotective meat culture for optimal Listeria control in fermented meat
products. The culture ensures a reliable acidification and a good flavor and color
development.

Taxonomy
Staphylococcus xylosus
Lactobacillus curvatus
Pediococcus acidilactici

Application
The culture is recommended for the production of traditional North and South
European type sausages. The culture is suitable for molded as well as smoked
fermented sausages.
Summer sausage is really a pretty stable product with these protections and what cure 1 and heating will do.

Looks good.

Wish i had helpers like yours.

I made Poli's venison SS but used beef. Since moving from PA my venison supply is close to 0.

I know its not venison but we could try beef to fine tune the recipe
We could try beef. My son in law Joe was here today and he got one of the sticks from the first batch that I did not put enough powdered milk in. He tried the one I have been eating and said their was huge difference in tang. He also said the same thing we said: up the garlic and salt some.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky