Venison summer sausage -starts in the smoker and ends in sous vide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
Doing my annual VSS and started doing it a bit different last year with good results. Start with 7 pounds of venison and 3 pounds of pork butt
IMG_1025.JPG

Used the following items for my VSS.
IMG_1027.JPG

Made a slurry with the mix and cure.
IMG_1026.JPG

Added all the goodies together and here is mixture before stuffing.
IMG_1028.JPG

I stuffed into 2.5 inch fibrous casings and into the smoker for 3 plus hours with hickory chips. One hour of drying at 110 with no smoke and then a bump up to 130ish with smoke.
IMG_1032.JPG

I then vac sealed the sticks and put them in a sous vide bath for 4.5 hours at 140 degrees. No more wondering and waiting for the sticks to finish in the smoker . I used a meat lug for my SV container.
IMG_1033.JPG

Out of their wrappers and into the fridge for the night.
IMG_1037.JPG

Sliced and vac sealed again this am and back to the fridge.
IMG_1039.JPG

Taste and texture were spot on. Thanks for looking ! CM
IMG_1040.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 3
Nice work on that . 140 is the temp I use for SV , just adjust the time for the size . Works great .
You got a good mix on that . Really looks nice , I know it taste great .

Looks really good! I need to make more myself, might have to try finishing with SV this time. And hope they turn out looking that good!

Ryan

Reactions: crazymoon
Wow, Those came out perfect looking.
How was the texture at 140° ? I would think it would be a little soft.
I'm doing some today and might just follow your lead.
Dan, It has a nice solid texture, I followed Baldwins chart for temps and added one hour to the time.

Wow!! That's some of the best looking sausage I've seen posted here. Looks absolutely fantastic. Great job sir.

One thing missing though?

My name is not on one those chubs

Hey Rick...he has enough of those chubs. Maybe we could each get our name on one :emoji_laughing: I'd get in line for a taste of that, without doubt.

Robert

Well done. That seem so much simpler than the wait. I make some each year and am hoping for a SV for Christmas. I like this idea. Would prob be easy with snack sticks too. Inspirational post!

YOU ARE MY ABOSLUTE HERO!

I'm getting ready to cut up a deer I shot last weekend and will be making some summer sausage! I may have to look into one of these SV.

Has that ratio worked out well for you? 7 lbs Venison & 3 pork butt?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky