Venison soppressata

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
I started a batch of Umai venison soppressata right after Christmas. Their recipe calls for 3 pounds of venison,one pound of lean pork and one pound of pork back fat. I used 4 pounds of venison and one pound of fat. Ground twice through a coarse(3/8) plate .
P1010117.JPG

Added the seasonings, cure #2 and T-SPX starter culture, then stuffed and hung in the closet for 3 days at about 70*
P1010123.JPG

I weighed today and have lost about 25% already,so I'll be snacking sooner than I thought ! :)
P1010126.JPG

I'll post a money shot before the snacking commences .Thanks for looking ! CM

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I never dry cured sausages with Umai but looks like I should try. I sounds interesting and easy. 25% weight loss in two weeks?! Wow! Looks like you didn't ferment your sausages - just added spices and T-SPX culture and hanged to dry. Right? Did you measure humidity in your closet by any chance?

I never dry cured sausages with Umai but looks like I should try. I sounds interesting and easy. 25% weight loss in two weeks?! Wow! Did you measure humidity in your closet by any chance?
The closet stay is only 3 days.then it goes in a fridge
Richie

I never dry cured sausages with Umai but looks like I should try. I sounds interesting and easy. 25% weight loss in two weeks?! Wow! Looks like you didn't ferment your sausages - just added spices and T-SPX culture and hanged to dry. Right? Did you measure humidity in your closet by any chance?

P2018,Look into the Umai process and it is easy and the results are quite tasty!

Hey CM, I usually take mine to 35% weight loss, are you going for 30%?
If so am interested in your results!
Al

Hey CM, I usually take mine to 35% weight loss, are you going for 30%?
If so am interested in your results!
Al
Al, My last batch was chorizo and I went about 33%, I am going to cut one at 30% and check it. I'll let you know how it turns out ! Dave

Al, My last batch was chorizo and I went about 33%, I am going to cut one at 30% and check it. I'll let you know how it turns out ! Dave
I'm very interested in the outcome, cause I think the shorter dry time will make for a more tender product, but it may not have as much flavor. I'm sure there is a balance in there & experimenting is the key.
As a matter of fact I have a whole boneless 22# ribeye dry curing in a UMAi bag & it will be 45 days next week, I'm contemplating letting it go to 60 days. It looks really good now & an having a hard time not just cutting into it now. The last one I did for 40 days, but that was without an UMAi bag. I think it could have gone longer, but 60 days may be too much. Although I saw a guy on YouTube who went 65 days with UMAi & SV'd the steaks then seared them with the rind still on & said they were outrageous. He said the SV softened up the rind & gave it a wonderful flavor. So I'm going to take it one day at a time after 45 days. It's kinda hard experimenting with a $200 piece of meat!!
Al

Hi all, So I had told Smoking Al that I was going to go to 30% loss on the soppressata. Life got in the way and it was at 35% before I weighed it and vac sealed. I really wish I had done 30% BUT it is quite tasty and I am happy with the results.
P1010128.JPG

P1010129.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky