Venison Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

link

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Michigan
Hello all,
I had a great hunting season this year, I got 2 does and a buck (5 point). My best year ever and my hunting buddy got 2 does. So we took 5 deer off of the 20 acres we hunt!
Anyway, I made 10 lbs of Cajun snack sticks and for the first time added High Temp Cheddar. I like to use 16mm casing so I was not sure how the cheese was going to work as the tube is not much bigger than a pencil.

But to my surprise, it worked just fine. So I used a 60/40 venison/pork combination and these came out fantastic. These sticks were made from the first Doe I got so I could take some on the other hunting weekends through the rest of the season. I smoked them with mesquite to an internal temp of 155 ° over a period of several hours.

I ground a little extra pork and made some breakfast sausage patties for my wife as well.

Thanks for looking.
Link

Attachments

• 20191023_210434.jpg
    20191023_210434.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20191024_212512.jpg
    20191024_212512.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20191024_212514.jpg
    20191024_212514.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 57
Hello all,
I had a great hunting season this year, I got 2 does and a buck (5 point). My best year ever and my hunting buddy got 2 does. So we took 5 deer off of the 20 acres we hunt!
Anyway, I made 10 lbs of Cajun snack sticks and for the first time added High Temp Cheddar. I like to use 16mm casing so I was not sure how the cheese was going to work as the tube is not much bigger than a pencil.

But to my surprise, it worked just fine. So I used a 60/40 venison/pork combination and these came out fantastic. These sticks were made from the first Doe I got so I could take some on the other hunting weekends through the rest of the season. I smoked them with mesquite to an internal temp of 155 ° over a period of several hours.

I ground a little extra pork and made some breakfast sausage patties for my wife as well.

Thanks for looking.
Link
Hi, Link! Those look great! I could sure use some smoking advice! Did you start at a lower temp and slowly increase? To what top thermostat temp? Or did you stay with one consistent(ish) temp for so many hours? I've seen on here 100 for an hour; 140 for 3 hours; 160 until IT is 152. We couldn't reach our temps and stay consistent on the MES so looking for some advice.

Thank you!

Hi, Link! Those look great! I could sure use some smoking advice! Did you start at a lower temp and slowly increase? To what top thermostat temp? Or did you stay with one consistent(ish) temp for so many hours? I've seen on here 100 for an hour; 140 for 3 hours; 160 until IT is 152. We couldn't reach our temps and stay consistent on the MES so looking for some advice.

Thank you!

This was a bit ago so I do not remember for sure. But usually, I will do the first hour at 100° with no smoke just to dry the outside a bit. Then I start with smoke at 120° for 2 to 3 hours and then bump it up to 140° for an hour then 106° until I hit the internal temp I want. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Link

This was a bit ago so I do not remember for sure. But usually, I will do the first hour at 100° with no smoke just to dry the outside a bit. Then I start with smoke at 120° for 2 to 3 hours and then bump it up to 140° for an hour then 106° until I hit the internal temp I want. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Link
Thank you, Link!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky