Venison Snack Sticks - Garden Salsa Pepper and Cheddar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WI_GameMeats

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Central WI
Here is my first try at adding peppers and/or cheese to a snack stick and some pictures to go along with it.

I used frozen garden salsa peppers from the garden from this past season. High temp cheddar cheese from Butcher and Packer. For some additional heat I crushed up some dehydrated Thai chiles from the local Asian food store - this added a lingering heat that is perfect.

I took Indaswamp's goose stick recipe and altered it to my liking and also used high temp cheese instead of normal cheese. This is a 50/50 venison to pork mixture. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1599.jpg
    IMG_1599.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1607.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 77
Here is my first try at adding peppers and/or cheese to a snack stick and some pictures to go along with it.

I used frozen garden salsa peppers from the garden from this past season. High temp cheddar cheese from Butcher and Packer. For some additional heat I crushed up some dehydrated Thai chiles from the local Asian food store - this added a lingering heat that is perfect.

I took Indaswamp's goose stick recipe and altered it to my liking and also used high temp cheese instead of normal cheese. This is a 50/50 venison to pork mixture. Enjoy!

WI_GameMeats WI_GameMeats looks great - what can you tell me about how you smoked that batch? New to this as well (and also from WI) and have only tried summer sausage so far, thinking about snack sticks next and need to get my head around how bet to hang/smoke in my MPS 44.

Thanks guys! I better foodsaver them before I eat half the batch I made!

TinCupTom TinCupTom I have a MES 40 that I've used only a dozen times, but I absolutely love it. One addition I would like to add is a AMNPS..

I let them air dry in the garage for half a day before smoking (it's fridge temp out there anyways).
Started @ 150 for 1 hour. (Didn't start at a lower temp, because I didn't want to be waiting until 10-11pm to finish)
160 for 1 hour (added apple chips at the 1 hour mark)
175 for 1 hour (the sticks stalled the IT around 138 forever) so I increased the temp again and also added more chips
200 until IT reached 152 (I know some guys are grinding their teeth at this, but I've had great success using this temperature pattern for any kind of sausage). I'm sure there are reasons to stay below 170 (one being not having high temp cheese...)
Cooled them off with a quick water bath and dried them and hung them up to dry.

I agree looks great . I grew the garden salsa peppers this year , have to say I like them . Bet they were great in the sticks .

Those look great!!! Definite like. Garden salsa peppers, I am just going to have to try them...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky