VENISON SNACK STICK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Over the long weekend decided to make some snack sticks / 35lbs venison,20lbs pork butt / 19mm Collagen Casings

25lbs PS Seasoning - Teriyaki
15lbs PS Seasoning - Seven Pepper
15lbs PS Seasoning - Chorizo

I didn't get any pictures of the meat grinding or stuffing :emoji_frowning2:.

Smoked in my home-made smoker - https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoker-build-w-pics.311908/
I have been tweaking/modifying this smoker sense I built it in 2021. I think I finally have all the bugs worked out... for now:emoji_wink:

View attachment 669842
snack sticks loaded up on rods/waiting for smoker to heat up.
View attachment 669843
smoker all loaded up

View attachment 669847
Rolling smoke - I start off using the 1500w heating element w/ Auber PID and amnps with pellets. started off at 100° and slowing increased.View attachment 669845
smoker wrapped in a wool blanket - the 1500 watt heating element has a hard time incasing temp's above 120°. after a few hours at 120° I started up the pellet pro. Lowest temp on the pellet pro is 160°. ran at 160° for a few hours and incased to 170° till internal temp was 153°
View attachment 669846
all done!

Overall this was a success. Kids said they taste good! I did have a few links separate from the casing, thinking I didn't stuff full enough or didn't cool them down fast enough?
So the issue with meat separating from the casing is from it getting too hot too quick. You need to bring it up to temp slowly so the proteins from the casing and meat can bind together, otherwise the meat cooks too fast and separates away from the casings. I have customers that do this on purpose though, so they can remove the casing easier when finished.

Just got off the phone with them I’ll be sending mine out shortly.
How are you liking the upgrade/update for the low temps? I have used mine a few times now for making sausage I’m very happy with it.

How are you liking the upgrade/update for the low temps? I have used mine a few times now for making sausage I’m very happy with it.
I ran 130F for an hour prior to some pork butts but I haven’t made any sausage products yet to really dial it in yet I will Be soon though but initial first thought it went well Held steady at 130 no issues so I’ll be curious how it goes for my insulated cabinet for hours on end

auerjr auerjr i ran a big batch yesterday in the smoker, ran 125F for an hour with the door cracked slightly, then 135F for hours then 150F and finished a 170F the thing never missed a beat and i had no issues!

Reactions: indaswamp
auerjr auerjr i ran a big batch yesterday in the smoker, ran 125F for an hour with the door cracked slightly, then 135F for hours then 150F and finished a 170F the thing never missed a beat and i had no issues!
I actually removed my electric heating element. No need for it, sense the pellet pro works so good at the low temps.

Reactions: slavikborisov
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky