Venison Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Polka

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Glenwood, Upshur Co., Tx
Hello All
Have a question regarding venison in sausage, like Kielbasa, etc.

I had 7.5 lbs of hind-quarter venison meat and 2.5 lbs brisket fat trimmings that I cured with #1, and all the salt for two days before grinding. (I got excellent bind doing this.) I then added the S/P, garlic and marjoram, plus 2 cups water.

It had excellent taste, aroma, and snap after smoking. But, the texture was a bit firm, more like a beef stick, and definitely was not juicy. Does venison need 1 1/2 cups water instead of just 1 cup per 5# batch?

I made half the batch into some breakfast links in 21mm size collagen, and I did put on some new muscle in the workout it gave me. The regular kielbasa was in 32mm--no troubles there.

So you venison sausage makers -- do you always add a bit more water than when using beef and / or pork? As I said above, just venison and brisket trimmings is what I had to be used.

Thanks guys!

R

I know that beef can handle 1 to 1 1/2 cups water per 5 # batch.

The texture of any venison sausage I've made has always been firm. Kinda like a really fat hamburger meat.

For the reason you posted, when we make venison sausages, we always cut it either 60/40 or 50/50 venison and pork. I figure out how much pork fat I need to add to bring the venison portion up to 20%, then add that to the mix and subtract an equal amount of pork butt. The pork butt already has 20~25% fat in it. Sausages are always juicy and full of venison flavor.

Thanks, fellas, for the replies.
I cold smoked it first, and towards the end, turned on the (electric) heat, and bumped them up, while at 150 for about 2 hours or so. Not cooked hard. Definitely no fat out. I (unfortunately) know what that is. I am always in a no-pork situation for our religious reasons. Thought maybe since you can bump up beef with as much as 1.5 cups water in a 5 lb batch, that maybe I should have done that with the venison. It certainly has the myosin, and responded well to the old-style salt-and-cure-first routine.

Except that it eats like a beef stick, which I wasn't expecting, I hit a home run with the folks and family.

Just wondering if there was a "rule" where you need to add a certain percentage more water when using venison in my sausage.

Thanks again, fellas.
Appreciate ya!

R

Thanks, fellas, for the replies.
I cold smoked it first, and towards the end, turned on the (electric) heat, and bumped them up, while at 150 for about 2 hours or so. Not cooked hard. Definitely no fat out. I (unfortunately) know what that is. I am always in a no-pork situation for our religious reasons. Thought maybe since you can bump up beef with as much as 1.5 cups water in a 5 lb batch, that maybe I should have done that with the venison. It certainly has the myosin, and responded well to the old-style salt-and-cure-first routine.

Except that it eats like a beef stick, which I wasn't expecting, I hit a home run with the folks and family.

Just wondering if there was a "rule" where you need to add a certain percentage more water when using venison in my sausage.

Thanks again, fellas.
Appreciate ya!

R
Ah, I understand now why you did not use pork. Yes, the myosin content is high in venison-especially the muscles of locomotion in the legs and such...should be comparable to bull meat- and should be able to hold 100% of it's weight or close to it. Did you happen to weigh the stuffed links prior and after smoking to see the weight loss? That wold help you determine how much water you are loosing.

You certainly can add more water....but I would add 0.25~0.375% sodium tri poly phosphate to bind the water in the meat upon cooking. Short of that, I would use a commercially available binder, or even NFDM powder (non fat dry milk). The milk powder will help soften the bite a little.....

You certainly can add more water....but I would add 0.25~0.375% sodium tri poly phosphate to bind the water in the meat upon cooking. Short of that, I would use a commercially available binder, or even NFDM powder (non fat dry milk). The milk powder will help soften the bite a little.....
Um, STPP or sodium tripolyphosphate is on the hit list for food (additive) allergens (similar to the MSG hangover) besides adding extra sodium to already heavily salted cured meat.

There is also "religious restrictions" for dairy products with meat.

Yes, that is pork ribs in my profile. Pure Scandinavian here.
I've experienced many ethnic, religious, and US regional food cultures over my many years. I consider it a blessing and still miss a fix of Kentucky burgoo.

Polka-
I would up the fat content to 30% to start. Stay with the trimming fat. I don't like the deep fat (tallow) as it gives a waxy mouth feel to me. More water may help, but you will loose some in the smoke/cook process.
Venison needs a braise to soften, but you will not get a lamb mouth feel. As Mofatguy pointed out it will always be firmer.

I will consult with my guru that has 1,000's of pounds

I'd even start 50/ 50 venison and pork. Agree beef fat is not the same as pork. Not as moist and harder than pork. Don't think amount of water would affect it much.

Hello All
Have a question regarding venison in sausage, like Kielbasa, etc.

I had 7.5 lbs of hind-quarter venison meat and 2.5 lbs brisket fat trimmings that I cured with #1, and all the salt for two days before grinding. (I got excellent bind doing this.) I then added the S/P, garlic and marjoram, plus 2 cups water.

It had excellent taste, aroma, and snap after smoking. But, the texture was a bit firm, more like a beef stick, and definitely was not juicy. Does venison need 1 1/2 cups water instead of just 1 cup per 5# batch?

I made half the batch into some breakfast links in 21mm size collagen, and I did put on some new muscle in the workout it gave me. The regular kielbasa was in 32mm--no troubles there.

So you venison sausage makers -- do you always add a bit more water than when using beef and / or pork? As I said above, just venison and brisket trimmings is what I had to be used.

Thanks guys!

R

I know that beef can handle 1 to 1 1/2 cups water per 5 # batch.
I add carrot fiber from Waltons. It keeps the moisture in mine.

thanks all for your considerations and contributions.
I have one more haunch to trim, slice, and dice, and will see what happens.
Appreciate ya

Rex
fwiw -- I don't do the dairy / meat thing. Ain't in the bible like swine, shellfish, and rabbits. R

fwiw -- I don't do the dairy / meat thing. Ain't in the bible like swine, shellfish, and rabbits. R
Up the beef fat to a strong 30%. Stay away from the the deep tallow.
I'm trying work with your restrictions of fin and scale, feather, and cloven. You need to read what is offered.
I'm a newbie to the forum, not to life.
My guru was a commercial meat producer and now as a hobby/friend processes around a ton a year.

Thanks much for the additional input, Idaswamp. I'm thawing the venison now, and will process later this week. 30% minimum fat in the next batch. Maybe more. Per all the answers from here and yon.

<quote>

You need to read what is offered.
I'm a newbie to the forum, not to life.

<end quote>

Ich verstehe nicht.
No comprehende.
Where did that come from?

?R?

Okay. Here is only two pictures. I got a "money shot" of that which is left after my wife got into my stash of the venison kielbasa. And, the dinky smoker I am using. I will graduate some day.

Rex
well the pictures will follow. Never posted pics before. But, they did arrive down below! R

Last edited:
IMG_20190305_174519.jpg

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky