Venison/Pork Italian Sausage -- "cold" smoked & grilled w/ Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Made some Italian Sausage a few weeks back using Alelover's recipe.  If you haven't tried his version, don't hesitate; it's awfully tasty!

We used Alelover's formula as a base for our venison sausage: 50/50 with pork butt, pork cheek/jowls for the added fat, and fresh rosemary + red pepper flakes for a bit of a kick.

1ca202ea_2012-01-2520.03.42.jpg

Pork cheeks and venison...

43485ecd_2012-01-2914.48.11.jpg

Through the grinder and stuffed into natural hog casings...

a448e187_2012-01-2918.20.39.jpg

We replaced the salt in Alelover's recipe with the appropriate amount of TenderQuick for cure so we could "cold" smoke.  The salt was fine for our taste.  I rested these in the fridge overnight to let the cure do it's thing and let the ingredients get acquainted.  I smoked these for about 5 hours with hickory running just below 100*.

58e4468b_IMG_2168.jpg

They are not really pretty because we are rookies at twisting the links and getting them to stay twisted.  The pros make it look so easy, don't they???  These took on a nice color.  I again set these back into the fridge to let the smokey goodness mature overnight.  Cooked some that night and froze the rest.

My boy is home from college this weekend, so I grilled a bunch over some hardwood lump for dinner...

df761f21_IMG_2190.jpg

Winner, winner -- sausage dinner!!!!  Some grilled onions, pasta, and veggies rounds it out.

Thanks for looking, my SMF friends!  Cheers!

They look great James.... Will have to try Scotts recipe

Joe

Looks good.

I only have 15 lbs of venison left so im saving for something special.

icon_cool.gif

Yes your sausage looks good enough to eat. I'm sure that your boy will like them to.

Good looking sausage, James.  The more you make the better your twist will turn out.
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky