Venison in the 44!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Floyd, VA
I put a coupla' pounds of sliced venison tenderloin in the smoker this morning. Got the fire and exhaust flue working together and my wireless Thermpro shows the temp at the meat rack hovering right at 200*. Life is good in Floyd County!

Fellas, I can't tell y'all how much I enjoy this group. I have learned an incredible amount here and the education department is helping me to advance even farther.

Complete failure. The venison loin was already cut into thumb size & thickness pieces. Didn't work. No matter, I'll try again. I bought some presliced beef (1/8th inch?) at the supermarket and will try that.

Hey Jim!
Did you know you strike quite a resemblance to "Briscoe Darling".

Don't know if this will help, but here's the best Jerky I ever made:
Pork Loin Jerky

Bear

I can 2nd the pork loin jerky.
The meat is relatively inexpensive, and it makes great jerky.

I'm sittin here enjoying some Maple pork loin jerky as we speak.
(Though, I prefer spicier jerky...)

(And my little furry Buddy is barking at me for his share...)

Live and learn I guess. I would probably brine my venison tenderloin or marinade it. I plan to do so with my venison backstrap, I have some to cook up from an Axis doe I shot last year.

I did this with the venison top and bottom round roasts and would do it with the backstrap and possibly the tenderloins as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky