For The Enablers: All Homemade Ravioli, Sausage, & Italian Gravy (Heavy Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
The whole "enabling" concept has been a ton of fun recently, with Steve H Steve H at the top of the leader board. As I was making dinner the other night I realized how much all of you have enabled me in so many ways. This whole meal was done, all homemade, with what I have learned here....as well as melting a few credit cards acquiring all the necessary tools to make it happen. This one came out amazing and I'm going into a lot of detail here so be forewarned, this is gonna be a long thread.

Start out with homemade pasta laid into the ravioli mold. Kinda looks like an egg carton :emoji_laughing:
001.jpg

Chopped fresh spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, and Romano cheeses.
002.jpg

Mix all that up and into the ravioli mold.
003.jpg

Second layer of pasta over the top.
004.jpg

Roll the top with a rolling pin to seal the pasta sheets together, remove, and trim the individual raviolis. Viola!! 12 beautiful specimens.
005.jpg

Now to start the gravy. Butter and garlic in a pan.
006.jpg

Lightly roast the garlic being careful not to scorch it.
007.jpg

Add flour to make the roux.
008.jpg

Heavy cream and mix well.
009.jpg

Italian herb blend and a little bit of fennel.
010.jpg

Mix that up and add Mozzarella for a smooth, creamy texture and grated Parmesan for flavor.
011.jpg

Simmer on low till it thickens and you have an incredible Italian cream gravy.
012.jpg

A couple of big sweet Italian sausages in a skillet.
013.jpg

Sausages done. Time to slice them while the ravioli is cooking.
015.jpg

Ravioli into a pan of boiling water for just a couple of minutes.
014.jpg

Raviolis on a plate. One broke open so have some stray spinach running around.
016.jpg

Top with the gravy and sliced sausage, plate with some cheesy garlic toast, and serve.
017.jpg

018.jpg

This ravioli is amazing!!
019.jpg

There are too many people to thank for the sausage. I wouldn't even know where to start. The ravioli however I give a huge shout out to my good friend sawhorseray sawhorseray It's his dough recipe and guidance that made this possible. As for all the equipment needed to make this happen...well I blame every last one of you for that :emoji_laughing: The gravy I've just sort of adapted on my own. Been playing around with many, many different versions over the past few years and got it dialed in, at least to a point. This dinner was fantastic!! Being all homemade, there's just no comparison to restaurant food. As terrific as the the ravioli was, it was the gravy that made the dish. It brought everything together into a cohesive, well balanced meal. Smooth, rich, flavorful, and verging on pure decadence. We were happy, sated, and ready for a nap.

Oh well, this one has gone on long enough. Y'all take care and see everybody soon.

Robert

Beautiful piece of work Robert, you are now a master ravioli maker! I most often make a large batch of ravs to have enough leftover to freeze some. Right out of the freezer and into a pot of boiling water, just takes a couple of minutes. Easy peasy and nice to have on hand for a quick meal. RAY

The whole "enabling" concept has been a ton of fun recently, with Steve H Steve H at the top of the leader board. As I was making dinner the other night I realized how much all of you have enabled me in so many ways. This whole meal was done, all homemade, with what I have learned here....as well as melting a few credit cards acquiring all the necessary tools to make it happen. This one came out amazing and I'm going into a lot of detail here so be forewarned, this is gonna be a long thread.

Start out with homemade pasta laid into the ravioli mold. Kinda looks like an egg carton :emoji_laughing:
View attachment 655170

Chopped fresh spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, and Romano cheeses.
View attachment 655171

Mix all that up and into the ravioli mold.
View attachment 655172

Second layer of pasta over the top.
View attachment 655173

Roll the top with a rolling pin to seal the pasta sheets together, remove, and trim the individual raviolis. Viola!! 12 beautiful specimens.
View attachment 655176

Now to start the gravy. Butter and garlic in a pan.
View attachment 655178

Lightly roast the garlic being careful not to scorch it.
View attachment 655179

Add flour to make the roux.
View attachment 655180

Heavy cream and mix well.
View attachment 655181

Italian herb blend and a little bit of fennel.
View attachment 655182

Mix that up and add Mozzarella for a smooth, creamy texture and grated Parmesan for flavor.
View attachment 655183

Simmer on low till it thickens and you have an incredible Italian cream gravy.
View attachment 655184

A couple of big sweet Italian sausages in a skillet.
View attachment 655185

Sausages done. Time to slice them while the ravioli is cooking.
View attachment 655187

Ravioli into a pan of boiling water for just a couple of minutes.
View attachment 655186

Raviolis on a plate. One broke open so have some stray spinach running around.
View attachment 655188

Top with the gravy and sliced sausage, plate with some cheesy garlic toast, and serve.
View attachment 655189
View attachment 655190

This ravioli is amazing!!
View attachment 655191

There are too many people to thank for the sausage. I wouldn't even know where to start. The ravioli however I give a huge shout out to my good friend sawhorseray sawhorseray It's his dough recipe and guidance that made this possible. As for all the equipment needed to make this happen...well I blame every last one of you for that :emoji_laughing: The gravy I've just sort of adapted on my own. Been playing around with many, many different versions over the past few years and got it dialed in, at least to a point. This dinner was fantastic!! Being all homemade, there's just no comparison to restaurant food. As terrific as the the ravioli was, it was the gravy that made the dish. It brought everything together into a cohesive, well balanced meal. Smooth, rich, flavorful, and verging on pure decadence. We were happy, sated, and ready for a nap.

Oh well, this one has gone on long enough. Y'all take care and see everybody soon.

Robert
Fantastic post! It looks great, though my lactose intolerance makes me cringe at the idea of eating it and suffering afterwards hahahaha.

If I was doing carbs and sugars I would be all over some of this. I do have an Atlas pasta machine from my pre carbs/sugar days that is just collecting dust. Maybe someday I'll get back to it :D

5 Star Robert😍 What an incredible meal! All from scratch, screw Michelin star restaurants when you can cook at home like that! You make a great point on this thread though. As much as we have good nature BS about enablers, there is a huge benefit to it with the support network here. That is a crazy awesome meal brought to you by the proud enablers of SMF!

Very nice Robert! I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you have an addiction! I would have had to add some sausage in the pasta too, but I just think meat should be 50% of the plate....LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky