• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Venison chorizo sausage

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
I have been craving good chorizo, and I have some extra venison from last year. Wanted to make a nice quick batch of burger and chorizo. So I ended up with about 20lbs of burger, and 20lbs of chorizo. My burger mix was simple. 10lbs venison, 7lbs ground chuck, and 3lbs Brisket fat trim. I did a double grind, starting w medium, and finishing w fine. I used my Cabelas #32, so this was a breeze. I took my time, over two days. Cleaning as I went so it was a very simple project. As I finished the burger and packaged it into 1.5lb bags, I would temper them in the freezer before vac sealing. Makes for a better seal without pulling moisture from the meat.

Once all equip from the burger was clean, I started on the chorizo. Simple again, 10lbs venison and 10lbs pork shoulder (fat included). I did the same grind as the burger (personal preference even though I know traditionally chorizo is a courser grind). I used Walton’s chorizo blend, added 1/2 cup of flat iron smoke show peppers (super hot smoky blend of dried pepper) and 8oz of white vinegar per Walton’s recommendation. I like spicy, but I was afraid of making it too hot for everyone else. This batch came out just right.
94565AA6-CFE3-4CEE-ABB0-729E642F1F88.jpeg
35DDEAB2-6D54-4687-96AB-CC188929BE3E.jpeg
411CCA7C-B91D-41B8-8EBB-D166EBBD1255.jpeg
Here is a look at the venison and beef I was working with. I used hind quarter cuts, and this really pretty chuck roast. Along with the brisket fat ,I think I got a nice blend.

0A849654-CBB1-486D-8B6E-58BDB2270B7B.jpeg
BBD7753B-F71F-44C6-94E6-4DC1BD55923E.jpeg
Burger all ready for the freezer. We package our burger in 1&1/2 lb packs. Seems to be perfect amount for what we do. The mrs. says this is the best batch of venison burger I’ve made thus far. Bet it’s the chuck.

I worked alone so didn’t get many chorizo pics but here are a few:
A46C0683-C6DD-479A-AE9D-255CF1A0F7D9.jpeg
9A728623-BE8C-4671-B0DF-810F712E0EB7.jpeg
EE376F87-33D1-453D-99D6-F09CD78B4A69.jpeg
I linked up about 10lbs, and loose-packed another 10. Was going to loose pack it all, but I wanted to try out some new casings I bought from the natural casings company in Wisconsin. We shall see, but I like the way they handled on the stuffer.

The fry test last night got me excited. Wonderful flavor, but a bit too much heat (perfect for me), I hoped that they would mellow a little overnight. Well, this morning I decided to make breakfast burritos to really put the sausage to the test. I browned off a lb of the chorizo, then added red onion, green bell pepper and tomatoes and let that cook down for a few minutes. 7A686700-5C94-4246-A33D-B47BCACE7923.jpeg
8D02722F-00C1-4BF5-9254-02E526C9FDB5.jpeg
ECC7D4A3-1A53-4F5B-84B9-88A5C14C160B.jpeg
Then I added some eggs, and scrambled the whole thing up. As that was going on I heated a few mission low carb tortillas, added some sargento sharp cheddar, a pile of the scrambled egg mix and a little sour cream (ok maybe a little too much but I was still worried about the heat levels)
7DF2E5B0-319E-42B4-B992-ABD02E3D0467.jpeg
06E71AB1-E015-448A-ACEB-75DB5DDBBBD7.jpeg
7706DCF4-E340-4DE2-8874-363985E2AEFF.jpeg
Well, with everything added to the party, the heat levels were just fine, maybe a even a tad mild. But boy am I happy with this sausage, it came out great! And we have a lot of the eggs to make more breakfast burritos for the week.
Thanks for looking!

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Very nice work , and well done thread .
I used AC Leggs chorizo mix , all pork . Man it's good .
I took my time, over two days. Cleaning as I went so it was a very simple project.
Only way to go . Keeps it fun too . Great work ,,, thanks for posting .

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
Very nice work , and well done thread .
I used AC Leggs chorizo mix , all pork . Man it's good .

Only way to go . Keeps it fun too . Great work ,,, thanks for posting .
Thanks Chop! Man, I need to try the AC Leggs...ALL of their stuff seems to be top notch. Not sure why one always forget about them when ordering sausage seasonings.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I would bet they are about the same . Yours has a nice red color to it . Is that the venison or the seasoning ?
If you want to try another place look thru the list at Owens BBQ . Really good seasonings .

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
I would bet they are about the same . Yours has a nice red color to it . Is that the venison or the seasoning ?
If you want to try another place look thru the list at Owens BBQ . Really good seasonings .
Ahh, I just finally ordered from them (Owens). Have some red barn bologna seasoning, Thats the next project!
I believe the red is the seasoning more than the venison. It had a really nice color. The links are in the fridge now and seem to be reddening even more.

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
I have been craving good chorizo, and I have some extra venison from last year. Wanted to make a nice quick batch of burger and chorizo. So I ended up with about 20lbs of burger, and 20lbs of chorizo. My burger mix was simple. 10lbs venison, 7lbs ground chuck, and 3lbs Brisket fat trim. I did a double grind, starting w medium, and finishing w fine. I used my Cabelas #32, so this was a breeze. I took my time, over two days. Cleaning as I went so it was a very simple project. As I finished the burger and packaged it into 1.5lb bags, I would temper them in the freezer before vac sealing. Makes for a better seal without pulling moisture from the meat.

Once all equip from the burger was clean, I started on the chorizo. Simple again, 10lbs venison and 10lbs pork shoulder (fat included). I did the same grind as the burger (personal preference even though I know traditionally chorizo is a courser grind). I used Walton’s chorizo blend, added 1/2 cup of flat iron smoke show peppers (super hot smoky blend of dried pepper) and 8oz of white vinegar per Walton’s recommendation. I like spicy, but I was afraid of making it too hot for everyone else. This batch came out just right.
View attachment 446547
View attachment 446548
View attachment 446549
Here is a look at the venison and beef I was working with. I used hind quarter cuts, and this really pretty chuck roast. Along with the brisket fat ,I think I got a nice blend.

View attachment 446550
View attachment 446551
Burger all ready for the freezer. We package our burger in 1&1/2 lb packs. Seems to be perfect amount for what we do. The mrs. says this is the best batch of venison burger I’ve made thus far. Bet it’s the chuck.

I worked alone so didn’t get many chorizo pics but here are a few:
View attachment 446552
View attachment 446553
View attachment 446554
I linked up about 10lbs, and loose-packed another 10. Was going to loose pack it all, but I wanted to try out some new casings I bought from the natural casings company in Wisconsin. We shall see, but I like the way they handled on the stuffer.

The fry test last night got me excited. Wonderful flavor, but a bit too much heat (perfect for me), I hoped that they would mellow a little overnight. Well, this morning I decided to make breakfast burritos to really put the sausage to the test. I browned off a lb of the chorizo, then added red onion, green bell pepper and tomatoes and let that cook down for a few minutes. View attachment 446555
View attachment 446556
View attachment 446557
Then I added some eggs, and scrambled the whole thing up. As that was going on I heated a few mission low carb tortillas, added some sargento sharp cheddar, a pile of the scrambled egg mix and a little sour cream (ok maybe a little too much but I was still worried about the heat levels)
View attachment 446558
View attachment 446559
View attachment 446560
Well, with everything added to the party, the heat levels were just fine, maybe a even a tad mild. But boy am I happy with this sausage, it came out great! And we have a lot of the eggs to make more breakfast burritos for the week.
Thanks for looking!
Man that all looks great, Im glad it turned out so well!

Ishi

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 30, 2018
Oh YA! Nice job and great info!
My next venture is to start making sausages!

buck bob

Joined Dec 28, 2015
Looks great, im planning to make some venison chorizo for the first time over the weekend.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2015
Anyone have a fresh chorizo recipe? I got a bunch of left over ground venison and this the one thing I have not found a recipe I like yet.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2015
Thank Inda, Pm's are appreciated also. I'll probably change it anyways some and use it as a base. The wife unit, has particular tastes. I can't make most German recipes as she doesn't like Mace, all spice type flavors.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.