Venison boerewors, hot links, kielbasa and Italian sausage!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like you did outstanding job. I can understand the difficulty keeping the temperature steady as I also have electric smoker. It sure does take time to dial it in. Any chance you could post your recipe for the Boerewors sausage? Would like to try it. Thanks.

Whatttt! 6 OMG I wish ... I wish . Me this year .... one big fat 0

I checked out that smokeboard, looks like a nice product, but what is the PID?

There are two hunters in the house and we did an out of state hunt this year in Alaska, pretty guaranteed harvest but definitely not something we do every year. The PID is a temperature controller for my electric smoker, it's pricey but it keeps me going at +/- 3 degrees when I was +/- 60 without it. More info here.

Looks like you did outstanding job. I can understand the difficulty keeping the temperature steady as I also have electric smoker. It sure does take time to dial it in. Any chance you could post your recipe for the Boerewors sausage? Would like to try it. Thanks.

Thanks and sure thing! This is the spice/liquid mix for 1lb of meat, I scale it up from there. Coriander is the dominant flavor, I buy whole seeds and toast them then partially grind them. I think did about 7 lbs venison, 2.5 lbs beef fat and 1 lb bacon, 1 grind at 1/4 inch. Could go coarser if you like that, but not smaller.

1.5 tbsp red wine
1.5 tbsp ice water
2 tsp crushed coriander
1.5 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp brown sugar
0.5 tsp garlic powder
0.5 tsp allspice
0.5 tsp ground pepper
0.5 tsp fennel
0.25 tsp clove
0.25 tsp nutmeg

Wow, fantastic! Wish I had that much room in my kitchen for projects like this.
Can I swing by some time for a bite? ;)

I wouldn't be lying if I said your advice on the PID made this possible :) If you're looking for a new tool for your arsenal I can recommend the Fireboard thermometer. The PID + Fireboard combo is a sight to behold.

Check this out - two smokers and two probes going at once, it's a pretty good visualization of how I spent Monday. And you can see the PID holding the electric smoker rock solid, except when I open the door.

View attachment 350029

I hear you with all the probes and graphics. I will check into the Fireboard, I admittedly have never read up on it.
I'm not sure it is going to beat my HeaterMeter PID with WIFI, Web/Mobile Accessible Realtime recording andGraph generation of the probes and PID behavior, monitoring, as well archiving the info. See here, it is awesome!
That image is the recorded history from a Chuck Roast smoke :)

I hear you with all the probes and graphics. I will check into the Fireboard, I admittedly have never read up on it.
I'm not sure it is going to beat my HeaterMeter PID with WIFI, Web/Mobile Accessible Realtime recording andGraph generation of the probes and PID behavior, monitoring, as well archiving the info. See here, it is awesome!
That image is the recorded history from a Chuck Roast smoke :)

By the looks of it you're all set, that's a pretty slick setup, very similar functionality to the Fireboard and it looks super customizable. You build it custom with a raspberry pi? I read about home built thermo+PIDs, if I had more time...another thing on the list. Pretty sure my next electric smoker will be 100% custom.

By the looks of it you're all set, that's a pretty slick setup, very similar functionality to the Fireboard and it looks super customizable. You build it custom with a raspberry pi? I read about home built thermo+PIDs, if I had more time...another thing on the list. Pretty sure my next electric smoker will be 100% custom.

It's pretty cool. I didn't build it. It is a project by some other guy and you can buy any level of it from the hardware, to just the software, to the whole thing pre-assembled in various stages.
I just bought the complete thing from Auber, they offer it up complete in a couple of configurations with additional options to choose from.

I believe the software project is open source and available on github but I've never downloaded it. If I did want to make any changes to the software I would make it a little more electric smoker friendly since it was designed for running blower fans at different voltages/speeds rather than SSR's being run as on/off.
This would be a "nice to have" version but not necessary as you can see I have it working fine with my electric smoker and tried to spell out the unintuitive settings or setup quirks in my HeaterMeter Post :)
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...d-electric-smoker-mes40-mod-in-detail.264277/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky