Venison Andouille Jambalaya

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Sort of, anyway. I’ve been taking classes at our local Southern Food and Beverage museum here in New Orleans. This Sunday, the class was on venison processing. I’ve come to be good friends with the curator of the meat department, and he asked me if I could donate the venison for this class.
It’s been a slow season, and I don’t have the surplus of venison that I normally have, but it’s for a good cause, and I was to get a good portion of the processed meat in return, once the class was over.
Fast forward to today, and I had some beautiful venison andouille sausage from yesterday’s class, I wanted to do something with it.
E6AFEE51-2A32-47DD-99E2-2C6EB29A4E32.png BBD9C03A-EBEF-4532-A9D8-5D642A96E805.png

I went with what I had around the house, and since I’m doing the low carb thing, I riced some fresh cauliflower instead of using regular rice.
I chopped some yellow onion, red bell pepper, celery, garlic & mushrooms. I also had some leftover hot sausage that I wanted to use. So, I browned a bunch of the andouille and hot sausage, set to the side and sautéed all of my veggies, and while that was going on I peeled about 1&1/2lbs of shrimp I had taken out of the freezer to thaw on Sunday. Washed it off, & set aside.
CE79B29D-42C1-40D0-8379-A998E3A6D0A9.jpeg
The chopped venison andouille.
5F13B629-7380-4601-BB0A-70EE48482FDC.jpeg
Once the onions and peppers were nice and cooked down, I added the sausage back to the party.
Then I added two cans of rotel, along with the mushrooms and some capers. I filled one of the empty cans of rotel up with cream, and added that as well. I also added some white pepper, crushed red pepper, creole seasoning , parsley and garlic powder. I let that simmer while I prepped the cauliflower and heated it up with salt, pepper and butter. Then I added my shrimp to the sausage & peppers mix, along with a bunch of finely chopped green onion tops, and once that was cooked, it was ready to be plated.
5825524C-2F70-4EE9-9AED-FF004B78A580.jpeg C4AC9B94-5F4D-40D1-8B9B-2CB551A158C8.jpeg
A5112EE6-05D2-4A83-965F-74BCF15991DD.jpeg
And here is the plated pic. Talk about delicious.

Last edited:
From one low carber to another nice job!! Man seriously that looks fantastic. Love the addition of capers too. I love them and feel like they are underused.

Reactions: 73saint
YUM! It looks delicious!

I’m a big fan of riced cauliflower, I like it more than regular white rice.

And I’m another fan of capers, I could eat those right out of the jar.

Like!

Reactions: 73saint
Man.....that is awesome looking
Thanks TN...it was pretty darn good. Having it leftover for lunch today.
From one low carber to another nice job!! Man seriously that looks fantastic. Love the addition of capers too. I love them and feel like they are underused.
Thanks jcam! Yes, I agree about the capers. It seems like every time I use them I say that. They really complimented this dish well.
73S, Looks delicious!
Thanks crazymoon!
Looks fantastic.
Thanks Winterrider!
YUM! It looks delicious!

I’m a big fan of riced cauliflower, I like it more than regular white rice.

And I’m another fan of capers, I could eat those right out of the jar

Like!
Thanks xray...Yeah man, fresh riced cauliflower really is tasty...I love it!
Wow, looks like a flavor bomb! Beautiful piece of work, Like. RAY
Ray, thanks! Yeah man, flavor bomb would be a great description. It was certainly an explosion of flavors lol!
Real nice meal and adjustments to fit your diet.

Warren
Thanks Warren!

Question for Andouille makers ;
I have never made before and ordered seasoning online from TSM. I see looking in my catalog today that Cure #1 ( which I knew ) "and" soy protein are required according to what they have. I was going to use 1/2 venison, 1/2 pork butt. Is the soy protein actually needed, and is its purpose basically a binder ?

Question for Andouille makers ;
I have never made before and ordered seasoning online from TSM. I see looking in my catalog today that Cure #1 ( which I knew ) "and" soy protein are required according to what they have. I was going to use 1/2 venison, 1/2 pork butt. Is the soy protein actually needed, and is its purpose basically a binder ?
I will share the recipe we used in the class but it's at home. I know he used potato starch as a binder, but he specifically said it wasn't necessary. He also said you could use NFDM or carrot fiber, didn't matter.

Reactions: Winterrider
I will share the recipe we used in the class but it's at home. I know he used potato starch as a binder, but he specifically said it wasn't necessary. He also said you could use NFDM or carrot fiber, didn't matter.
Ok ,thank you greatly. . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky