Variation of Dave Omak's Party Snackies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nwdave

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Was inspired to do something similar to Dave's smoked summer sausage favors for his poker night crowd.  Cash and Carry had some packages of sliced pork roll and of course, I just had to try something with them.  I used the same technique Dave did, that is:  smoked at 225 with apple smoke applied (from a AMNPS) for 45 minutes.  I found out from Dave he did this to render the fat out of the summer sausage.  It came OK.  The slices crisped up nicely as you can see in the picture.  If they hadn't be sandwiched between two cooling racks, they'd have been curly chips.  The top rows show un-smoked pork roll and the bottom rows are the chips.  They are crisp.  I have visions of these being able to be dipped into a melted cheese fondue (for those who still have a fondue).  I think next time I'll smoke them at 200 degrees or perhaps 180 degrees to better control the amount of crispiness.  This sessions  break up rather easily.

Anyway, it's a good idea for snackies while you're smoking and the crowds keep getting more hostile because of hunger pangs.

a1faf381_PorkRollChips.jpg

Might consider adding a light application of a favorite rub just to spice up the chips, if you like.

Thanks for viewing this journey.  It's been a busy couple of days.  Other threads to post.

~Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky