Valen./ Anniver. Supper ( Cured Smoked Chicken in a Pastry Bag )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Valentine's / Anniversary Supper ( Cured Smoked Chicken in a Pastry Bag )

Well our plans were to go out , But of coarse mother nature changed our plans and gave us a snow storm again
Like I mentioned on an other thread , 19 Years today, married on the sands of Jamaica. We have been together 37 Years
So from My other post of
I had the legs already done for a post later on, but had enough for me to uses some here.
Made a fresh batch of our potato bread stuffing, onions, celery, butter, summer savory, pepper ( 50/50 potatoes to bread )
Made a batch of Hot water Pastry
DSC_4069.JPG DSC_4076.JPG DSC_4077.JPG
I know to let the dough cool down before using, I did not so the dough did drop a bit when baked
( I pre warmed up the legs a little as I had them in the fridge for another post later in the week )

So roll out the dough cut squares about 6" x 6" ,
place some stuffing in the middle 2-3 tablespoons
stand up the chicken leg in the middle, than sprinkle grated Mozza. on that
DSC_4078.JPG
DSC_4079.JPG

Now pull the dough up around the leg like a sack and tie off ( not too tight as it will just cut the dough. ) I just use my butcher string

DSC_4081.JPG

DSC_4082.JPG

The dough should be up a little higher for a better look , but like I said . I rushed it and the dough was a little too warm

Cover the dough with egg wash, and tinfoil on the ends of the legs so they do not burn
DSC_4084.JPG

in the over for approx. 45 minutes at 375deg. F. While they are in the oven also put in the pan of stuffing

DSC_4087.JPG

Once chicken is out of the oven cut the string and gently pull away . The pastry should have been up a little higher for a better look . Next time

DSC_4085.JPG

DSC_4086.JPG

plate with a nice fresh green salad and potato bread stuffing with chicken gravy

DSC_4093.JPG

Thanks for looking, Not what we were going to do but we had fun putting it together. Seeing how I was home all day today.

Nice supper and GREAT company.

David and Mona

Attachments

• DSC_4088.JPG
    DSC_4088.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_4089.JPG
    DSC_4089.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_4094.JPG
    DSC_4094.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 8
Excellent idea and execution! I have never seen this. I'm not a big chicken leg fan but this has me wanting to try one. The cured part intrigues me and would likely change how I feel about regular chicken legs. Well done!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow! That is insane! I love it, never seen anything like that! Great cook, super creative and beautiful!. Happy anniversary!

Excellent idea and execution! I have never seen this. I'm not a big chicken leg fan but this has me wanting to try one. The cured part intrigues me and would likely change how I feel about regular chicken legs. Well done!

Thanks Ringer for the love and the comment

Fun to do, saw a similar idea awhile ago from Russia. Put my own twist on it, of coarse.

The cured chicken is a post I did the other day, there is a link at the top of this post. It is just like ham.

David

Wow! That is insane! I love it, never seen anything like that! Great cook, super creative and beautiful!. Happy anniversary!

Thanks Jed for the like and the comment

It was fun to do, not the meal we were going out to have , but we both liked it..

I can see doing this with different bottoms to the bag part, Fried muchrooms , or onions etc

David

Reactions: bauchjw
Good Lord, what am I looking at? I’ve never seen such goodness. That’s super creative. Bread and cheese and chicken is like a sandwich but not. I’m going to have to give that a try. That’s looks fantastic.

Good Lord, what am I looking at? I’ve never seen such goodness. That’s super creative. Bread and cheese and chicken is like a sandwich but not. I’m going to have to give that a try. That’s looks fantastic.

Thank you Sven for the comment

That is very nice of you to say all that. Yes the stuffing and cheese with the drum standing in the middle , came up nice . Like I said needed to let the dough cool down more , I was too much of a rush to get it together.

Thanks again

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky