Vacuuming Mason jars

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Floyd, VA
We bought a set of adapters designed to allow vacuuming Mason jars. They are intended to be used in conjunction with the vacuum function on bag sealing machines. However, the vacuum developed by the bagging machines is only a quarter to a third of a perfect vacuum. I built a manifold that attaches to my freeze drier vacuum pump. The pump pulls down to 30+ inches of mercury, the equivalent of deep space. The vacuum is so deep, I have to put a glove on my hand to pull the lid off a vacuumed jar or pry it off with a table knife.

NOTICE: I am NOT suggesting this procedure is a replacement for proper canning methods where/when required.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mas...CigB&biw=1086&bih=528#spd=1658817790586445388

With that much "vacuum", your jar could implode spraying glass ....
I have food saver vacuum canisters... I hooked them up to my double pump vacmaster bag machine... Cracked the heck out of the canister... They didn't like the increase in vacuum...

The lids are designed for the average FoodSaver vacation sealer, with some degree of over vac protection. I would worry about a lid cracking or jar breaking using a much more powerful vacuum. Looking forward to a longer term storage result...JJ

Freeze drying does NOT kill botulism... Since botulism is a soil borne pathogen, it can be on vegetables... It lives in an oxygen depleted environment and can be reconstituted in a warm moist environment... Do some additional research before you vacuum pack food in jars for long term storage...

The FDA has determined that salt-cured, dried, or fermented un-eviscerated fish larger than 5 inches have been linked to outbreaks of botulism poisoning between 1981 and 1987 and again in 1991. Because OC Raw Dog Freeze Dried Sardines are larger than 5 inches there is a possible health risk. Clostridium botulinum can cause severe and potentially fatal toxicity in both animals consuming the pet treat and people handling the pet treat or coming in contact with contact areas that have been exposed o the product. Common symptoms may include dizziness, blurred or double vision, trouble with speaking or swallowing, difficulty breathing, muscle weakness, abdominal distension, and constipation. Pets or Persons experiencing these symptoms should seek immediate medical attention.

This product of Freeze Dried Sardines was shipped to Distributors in the following states with the intent to be sold to Wholesales who in turn sell to Consumers. This product would be found in Independent Pet Specialty Stores within the following states:

California, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Minnesota, Texas, and Pennsylvania.

I vacuum-pack these wide-mouth jars almost every day, but would never think of leaving them at room temperature, for the reasons Dave described.

As for getting an even more-perfect vacuum, I do something that is both different and easier: if I want to really preserve something in a canning jar even better than just the usual vacuum, I blow a little CO2 into the jar, using my Sodastream. I just attach a length of aquarium air hose to the Sodastream and then run that into the jar. CO2 is heavier than air, so it displaces most of the oxygen and nitrogen (the main components of air, unless you live in L.A.). I then vacuum that out. The residual gas is now almost entirely CO2, which is far less reactive than the oxygen it has displaced.

I can get fruits and vegetables to last for 2-3 times longer using this technique. Lettuce & strawberries are a favorite for this trick.

I find it noteworthy this is the only question I've been asked.
I got more. :-)

Not familiar with freeze dried foods, but i am fascinated by food preservation techniques old school and modern.

Why not pack the freeze dried foods in vacuum bags?

How does freeze dried pulled pork taste/feel once it's rehydrated?

As for botulism the dog food example given must have been conatminated before freeze drying . I don't see how botulism.spores would germinate on a freeze dried product.

I got more. :)

Not familiar with freeze dried foods, but i am fascinated by food preservation techniques old school and modern.

Why not pack the freeze dried foods in vacuum bags?
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS AS PER HARVEST RIGHT CORPORATION. FOR THOSE THAT DISAGREE, TAKE IT UP WITH HARVEST RIGHT.

Between vacuum bags, Ball/Mason jars and Mylar bags, Mylar are the best with an anticipated shelf life of 25 years. Ball/Mason jars come in second with a shelf life of 10 to 15. Vacuum bags are recommended only for short term storage, not to exceed 5 years.

How does freeze dried pulled pork taste/feel once it's rehydrated?
Assuming everything is done correctly, just like it did right before it went in the freeze drier.

As for botulism the dog food example given must have been conatminated before freeze drying . I don't see how botulism.spores would germinate on a freeze dried product.
If botulism could proliferate in PROPERLY (key word here) freeze dried and packaged food, Harvest Right Corporation would not be selling thousands of three different size models and tens of thousands of people would not be FDing hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of food items every year.

I did not get up this morning and make up all this. The FIRST thing I did when we bought our FD was RTFM. Between that, talking to the techs at H/R and READING, I have learned a lot about FDing. People would be surprised at what they would learn if they would ask questions.

It doesn't germinate ... It was tested and found freeze drying has no effect on botulism bacteria....

When you open the package and add warmth and moisture, you have active botulism again.... like in your gut or stew or whatever... unlike home pressure canning that destroys botulism....
Just trying to get you to think about food safety... The stuff you freeze-dry could be contaminated with botulism prior to processing.....

i get that but unless you are survivalist why would keep foods for so long?

Really? I was answering YOUR questions! I never said I store food for ANY length of time nor did I specify what containment system I use.

Fellas, I'm done with this thread, y'all can have it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky