How long can you store fresh tomato sauce in a mason jar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
I made tx smoker tx smoker fresh tomato sauce recipe over the weekend with another round of eggplant napoleon and it was great. Got me to thinking how long it would stay safe and fresh in the fridge if after cooking it for a couple hours and vacuum packing in some mason jars? Are there any guidelines for this? Anything to add that would make it last longer without compromising the taste?

Not sure how long you want to keep the sauce, but without an acid (citric) it won’t last as long. Not sure of the ingredients in the sauce, but why not just freeze it if you are concerned about it. Otherwise to extend shelf life, some form of vitamin C needs to be added, lemon juice or similar. You may be able to add sodium erythorbate as well. This is the sodium of citric acid. Won’t change flavor and will extend shelf life a little bit, but freezing I’m thinking is the best bet.

I'm with edge, freeze it. Make a big batch and freeze in portions you will use up once defrosted.

Reactions: clifish
If by cooking and vacuum packing you're meaning hot pack canning they will last for months or years w/o refrigeration in a pantry. It's best to pressure can them but hot pack canning has been used longer than pressure canning and it still works.

BTW, tomato should have enough acid in them to last a couple of weeks in the fridge.

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky