1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Vacuum sealer bags.

Discussion in 'Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment' started by muddydogs, Sep 9, 2018.

1. muddydogs

muddydogs Smoking Fanatic

So I have been using Nutri-Lock rolls and have went through a few 100 feet of the stuff. Last week I opened a new 2 roll package of the 8" stuff and couldn't get a good vacuum on pork belly bacon pieces. Well I thought it was the Foodsaver unit itself but today I was vacuuming some Costco meat and found that my vac sealer doesn't seem to have a problem vacuuming Foodsaver quart bags but won't pull a vacuum on the Nutri-Lock bags.

So now I'm wondering if it's the bag material or if my vac sealer is just getting weak? The sealer seems to be pulling a good seal with the Foodsaver bags but it might not be as strong as it once was?

So what do you guys think?

2. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Well, I'm cheap and retired. So I tend to gravitate towards that deep end of the pond.
    Mine is a Ziplock from Kmart. If it breaks, I'll toss it.
    You are sure the Nutri-Locks are well sealed before you try puling them, and everything else is hunky-dory with the sealer?

If you have the duckettes, you could jump to a chamber sealer model. Then never look back. :rolleyes:

3. I've been using WalMart "Weston" brand vacuum bags with good success. About 1/3rd less than food saver. They are thinner but haven't been an issue.

I have a Food Saver vacuum machine

4. muddydogs

muddydogs Smoking Fanatic

The Nutri lock weren't an issue for the first 300 or so feet of bag material.
    I was all set to purchase a new vac sealer but would hate to dump $350 on a good one then find out its the bag material.

5. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

When you make the bag length , do a double seal on the same spot . See if that helps .

6. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

I do this all the time just to ensure the seal. Those one super close to the edge can have the smallest leak and you won't realize it.