Inkbird Vac sealer . Buyer / Owner Beware .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I bought this back when they first ran them on sale . I think it was $34.00 or something close . I know a lot of us bought them . I got it as a backup . Never used it much , maybe a couple dozen seals on it .

Last time I used it , I was in the middle of what I was doing . Had sealed a couple bags , and it was sitting with the lid open . I was getting some stuff ready , and I smelled hot electronics . Then the sealer pump started running .
Reached over and closed the lid and it stopped . I could feel it was hot , so I knew the sealer strip was running .
Pump going on and off on it's own , and the strip was full on . So I unplugged it and set it to the side .

2 days ago I decided to try it again , same thing .
Took it down to the shop and took it apart . I was thinking a burnt relay or PCB . Just wanted to know what it was before I tossed it in the trash .
This is the one I have ,
20240131_200246.jpg
Opened up the bottom and didn't see anything at first .
20240131_200045.jpg
Then I noticed where the wire harness comes through the body , on both sides .
20240131_200057.jpg
Other side .
20240131_200108.jpg
Actually broke it two .
20240131_200120.jpg
20240131_200218.jpg
You can see where it's getting pinched on the body . Opening and closing it adds to it , and pushing down to latch it really effects it .
Like I said , maybe 2 dozen seals , then a hard fail . If you were using this , and had to walk away for some reason and this happens , I could see a bigger problem . Lucky I was standing there .
Just an FYI if you own one .

Last edited:
I've got one of those. Thanks for the heads up.

That could have been very bad.
You get what you pay for , but yeah ,,, I'm guessing they're all like that . Design flaw for sure .
Take the dog out , or neighbor comes to the door , I'd of had a fire , or at least some smoke .

I remember you mentioning that so told my wife about it when we were last using it... we now unplug it when not using it.

Ryan

Yep, I have one too. And like Okie, it is only a back up. Don't remember if I've even used it. Now that you have had it a part Rich, is there any way to relieve the pinch points?
Anyway, Huge thanks for the heads up Rich!
Scratch that off as a gift giving idea.

Yep, I have one too. And like Okie, it is only a back up. Don't remember if I've even used it. Now that you have had it a part Rich, is there any way to relieve the pinch points?
Anyway, Huge thanks for the heads up Rich!
Scratch that off as a gift giving idea.
Waiting for a call back from our daughter as well... can't remember if we got her one as a gift.

Ryan

I bought this back when they first ran them on sale . I think it was $34.00 or something close . I know a lot of us bought them . I got it as a backup . Never used it much , maybe a couple dozen seals on it .

Last time I used it , I was in the middle of what I was doing . Had sealed a couple bags , and it was sitting with the lid open . I was getting some stuff ready , and I smelled hot electronics . Then the sealer pump started running .
Reached over and closed the lid and it stopped . I could feel it was hot , so I knew the sealer strip was running .
Pump going on and off on it's own , and the strip was full on . So I unplugged it and set it to the side .

2 days ago I decided to try it again , same thing .
Took it down to the shop and took it apart . I was thinking a burnt relay or PCB . Just wanted to know what it was before I tossed it in the trash .
This is the one I have ,
View attachment 687516
Opened up the bottom and didn't see anything at first .
View attachment 687511
Then I noticed where the wire harness comes through the body , on both sides .
View attachment 687512
Other side .
View attachment 687513
Actually broke it two .
View attachment 687514
View attachment 687515
You can see where it's getting pinched on the body . Opening and closing it adds to it , and pushing down to latch it really effects it .
Like I said , maybe 2 dozen seals , then a hard fail . If you were using this , and had to walk away for some reason and this happens , I could see a bigger problem . Lucky I was standing there .
Just an FYI if you own one .
I bet you could grind part of the plastic away so it wouldn't pinch, and then reconnect the wires and get it working again..

Reactions: zwiller
. Any ideas on a fix for it?
I can't really see a pinch point , but might be different with the case put back together .
It almost looks like it fatigue from opening and closing the lid . The wires that broke are solid small gauge copper .
I just took it and opened and closed the lid a half dozen times and ,
Broke completely in two .
20240202_100347.jpg
The other wires look stranded to me . The lid hinge doesn't quite pinch it , but it's close .
This is the zoomed out view so you have an idea of what you're looking at .
Bottom with cover removed , hinge side of the top , open position .
Upper right of the sealer . Wires coming through the hinge .
20240202_100457.jpg
Zoomed in . Wires are free , but it's close . Like I said , may be different all closed up .
20240202_100448.jpg
Those wires go from 90 degrees to flat everytime the lids opened and closed .

Without taking anything apart , you can open the lid and look into the hinge and see the wires .
Hard to see , but they're there . Might be able to see if there's any wear .

Reactions: Winterrider
Dang I have the exact same one and have given a few away as gifts. Been using mine for a couple years now.

WOW. Have the same one. Will keep an eye on it. That said, LOVE LOVE LOVE the bag cutting tool! No other way IMO. I might offer a reason... Some of you know I used to run a big Christmas light show. I have lights (pixels) shipped to me from China. Long story short, China uses aluminum wire AND the gauge is sketchy at best. There are times it's a problem. Might be that maybe?

Been using mine for a couple years now.
Mine has always been hard to close / latch . Maybe there was a problem with just this one .
I said above you can see the wires if you open it and look through the hinge mortise . Take a peek when you get a chance .

China uses aluminum wire AND the gauge is sketchy at best.
The side that completely broke was small gauge copper .
The other side looks like stranded wire .
OVE LOVE the bag cutting tool!
Oh yeah . My Food savor has bag storage and a internal cutter . Bag roll threads through the cutter . It has me spoiled .
I'm gonna make a holder for the rolls and attach the lid from this one so I can use the cutter .

I also have the same one and use it often... The problem I have with mine is getting it to power up... Have to jiggle the plug around... Although the plug will go in either way it seems like if it deosn't power up and I turn the plug around it finally powers up... Anybody else encounter that ??

I've also been meaning to ask the crew... When storing, do you push the lid down and lock it... or leave it loose ??

Reactions: zwiller
Have to jiggle the plug around... Although the plug will go in either way it seems like if it deosn't power up and I turn the plug around it finally powers up... Anybody else encounter that ??
That's what mine was doing before this . Maybe related , maybe not .
I'd do the same thing . Flip the plug over and it would come on .

Mine works better than my old Food Saver did when new but my gripe is same as Rich and hard to close. I often fail. Generally I try to take it easy on appliances but this girl likes the rough stuff LOL.

I've also been meaning to ask the crew... When storing, do you push the lid down and lock it... or leave it loose ??
LOL Thanks for asking/wondered myself... I leave mine unlocked. Same logic as Steve H Steve H

Reactions: HalfSmoked
FoodSaver's have a halfway position for storage.
Guess it doesn't put much pressure on the gaskets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky