Vacation brisket with no smoker available. Oven?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wahoowad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Virginia
Going to a beach vacation house with family, the place only has a super cheap grill that has zero chances of being converted to doing an offset cook. And our car will already be packed to the gills so no room to squeeze my WSM in it.

I'm sure I can do a lowandslow in the oven even if it won't have a smoky flavor. Any suggestions? I tried it once years ago by laying the brisket in an inch of Allegro marinade but don't remember how it came out. If I do it I would likely still apply my favorite rub, wrap it at 165 to help get it tender.

Thoughts on an oven brisket?

If im in your shoes, i do the smoke before leaving - smoking and slicing the brisket as you normally would do.

I would then use a vacuum sealer to seal the appropriate amount of slices and burnt ends and freeze/place on ice for the trip and then reheat in water, in the bag when you want them. This is the closest ive been able to get to fresh bbq when on a trip like this.

I did that last year for a fishing trip, as the cabin didnt have any way to smoke anything and i wasnt lugging my wsm with me. I was able to feed about 8 with bags of pulled pork, chopped beef and ribs.

I'd also smoke it at home and bring it with you. If you have a vacuum sealer it's easy to reheat in a pot of simmering water. I smoked a couple of briskets for both my children's wedding receptions and did them the week before. I froze them whole post smoked and heated at the reception hall. Once heated I carved them up. Didn't notice much of a flavor loss. If you don't have a VS then reheat in a oven on a low setting. Enjoy your vacation time on the beach.

Chris

People have been cooking briskets in ovens forever. I used to do them at 350F for roughly 30 mins per pound. Season, roast uncovered for half the cook, cover with aluminum foil, add a little beef broth or onion soup if desired, then braise until tender. You can add veggies if you want before you cover. Tastes like a pot roast, not Q.

I agree with those that say smoke it ahead then reheat as Noboundaries said oven cooked equals roast not Q

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky