• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Using stock instead of water

KillerNoms

SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 14, 2018
Most recipes call for mixing in ice-water prior to stuffing. I'm wondering about substituting stock.

Flavor-wise it seems like a no-brainer. And I think the texture could only benefit from a nice collagen-rich stock.

Of course if it's salted stock you should adjust your recipe to accommodate it, but I make my stock without salt.

Any thoughts?

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
You can add salt free stock in place of the water, just be sure to chill it very cold. What kind of sausage are you making? Smoked or fresh?

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 21, 2018
Oh please don't add "no taste" water to your sausage:emoji_persevere:. Even if you have to use a dry seasoning base mixed with a little beer, anything but water!!!!🍻

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Just remember:

smoke sausages- 10% liquid added
fresh sausages - 3% liquid added

More added water allowed for smoke sausages to compensate for water loss during the smoking process.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.