Using proportions in bulk brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nanuk

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 18, 2012
Central Saskatchewan, Canada
Ok, so early this morning, I cleaned up two leg roasts from an elk.

one was small 534 grams
one was larger 1932 grams

I use a basic KUTAS recipe but brought the Worcestershire sauce back a bit as it overpowered my tastebuds when I first tried it. I use equal amounts of Worcestershire sauce and soya sauce now, and it tastes good.
I also add an equal amount of water.

because of the odd weights, I have to alter the amounts of ingredients.

as KUTAS is not published in weight, but in volume (I HATE that) I have to "eyeball" it.

so, the small amount was about 40% of his recipe, and the large amount was about 140% of his recipe.

When I dipped each piece into the brine, the small package ran out of brine, but the large portion had brine left over.

it seems that there are many recipes that are all "Close" to each other regarding ingredients, and the most important I think is "Cure #1" as this meat will be dehydrated at a lower temperature.

So here's my question:

Can I make a larger standard ingredient batch, and dip each piece in, add to a bag, then say add 2 TBSP (Tablespoon) of left over brine per lb of meat to the bag, then close it up and let it cure/brine for my preferred 48 hour minimum??
When I mix my brine up, I heat it a bit to allow the salts to dissolve.
Then I mix the heck out of it.
Then if my meat is not par-frozen, I'll cool the brine.

I'm thinking I'm not going to go wrong doing this, because KUTAS recipe called for 3 lbs meat, and when I made some EXACTLY 3 lbs of meat, I pretty much ran out of brine there too.

So, lets say I've got somewhere between 3 and 5 lbs of meat, I mix up a brine using the 3lbs recipe and double it to ensure I have enough, then dip each piece in, and toss in a bag.
When I dip, I actually toss the piece into the brine, and swirl it around to mix up the ingredients some, as I notice the ground pepper really clumps up bad.
Then when all are dipped, I toss in 2 TBSP of brine per lb into the bag (adding a bit of water if necessary to allow a full 2 TBSP of liquid added per lb) and zip it up, and toss away the remaining brine.
This way, I ensure enough liquid to spread out the ingredients and allow the cure to move through the meat easily.

To my way of thinking, it would be easier to get complete coverage, and enough brine, and have left over brine, that to try to make exactly the right amount, and find a couple three pieces are dry as the brine ran out.

(one other thought, IF I go this route, I WILL be calculating the weights of the dry ingredients I have on hand, and converting to weight, as that is so much easier to scale recipes)

I hope I understand your KUTAS recipe. Wet cures are calculated in volume. Dry cures are calculated for meat weight.

A wet cure only has to cover the meat. If you have too much, you can throw it or add to the bags. The liquid will have the proper cure ratio regardless.

Good morning Dave.
and thanks for responding.

Kutas' recipe as per his book. (I have his third addition)

it is measured in teaspoons for dry, and cups for liquid.

it makes a very thick brine that you can dip the meat into then toss it all into a bag/container to brine/cure.

For three pounds of meat, you only add just over 1/2 cup of liquid. So not really a water brine, and not really a dry rub/cure.
BUT it makes great tasting jerky.

I want to use that same formula, but scale it up, so I don't run dry when dipping the meat. Then add a little extra to have a bit of liquid in the bag.
Then I can toss out what I don't use.

I'm thinking as long as my ratios are correct when making the slurry, judging by past performance, what clings to the meat is enough.
AND if I have more than enough, MORE will cling to the meat, as I can have a well dipped piece of meat from first to last.

the idea of tossing in a bit extra is just for good measure, AND to even out the process, as occasionally some meat will be in such close contact with another, the seasonings don't get to it, and you have a light coloured spot

Dave, perhaps you could edit the title to something like

"Using proportions in bulk jerky mix/slurry/brine" to better reflect the ingredients vs a liquid brine like a Pops Brine or some such....

Now I understand. I have one of his old books from close to 40 years ago. I forgot about it. If I remember, he was big into cold smoking. I used his wild game recipes back in the day.

I'll let the experts advise you on dry curing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky