Using electric smoker with water pan.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearsmoke

Original poster
May 23, 2019
I'm using a brinkman smoke and grill electric smoker. It has a water pan and I'm using a chip box. Do I need to still foil my pork butt when it gets to 160? Or will the water pan keep it moist?

Either way you want to go man butt should turn out great. Foiling is more of a personal preference thing. Helps it through the stall and some say it does keep it moist. But if you are going for bark leave it unwrapped. I've done both with great results.

Do I need to still foil my pork butt when it gets to 160?
There is no "need" to foil (wrap) your meat with or without a water pan. It is largely a personal choice. You'll find folks from both camps here on the forum (I'm in the don't foil camp unless I'm in a hurry, which you should never be when you're Queing). Try both ways and see how YOU like it best.

Let us know how it comes out.

I don’t foil butts much at all. Even with a “crusty bark” once you pull them the little bits of crust just turn into pockets of spicy goodness. The only disadvantage I see is that you lose a bunch of fat and juice that could be mixed back in with the pull had the butt been wrapped.

I agree that there’s not a wrong way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky