Using cure for making Jerky.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RightfulSin

Original poster
Feb 12, 2019
Well, I am new here so Hello to start off with. I have a question in regards to jerky making. I got a dehydrator recently with the intention of jerky making. I also purchased some Prague Powder cure #1 and some Potassium Sorbate. My intention is to produce jerky that can/will last a while and not go bad and not need refrigeration. I know cure is to help with that and the Potassium Sorbate to inhibit mold growth afterwards. Would curing a meat (beef, pork, Turkey, chicken) then dry rubbing it, dehydrating it, then cooling, then spraying with the Potassium Sorbate, then storing in an airtight container produce that desired results? I am wondering if it would. I like to take food safety very seriously in all other cooking aspects, but this is my first jerky. Thanks for the help.

If you have adequately dried the jerky meat, then a light spray of 25% PS, you can store in a brown paper bag... That will allow any extra moisture to escape... Should keep forever...
I'm not a fan of storing meats in air tight containers for long periods...

Reactions: chef jimmyj
If you have adequately dried the jerky meat, then a light spray of 25% PS, you can store in a brown paper bag... That will allow any extra moisture to escape... Should keep forever...
I'm not a fan of storing meats in air tight containers for long periods...

Ok. So what would be a good ratio of Prague to cure a pork loin to prep for dry rub then drying (after slicing the loin)? And for how long? And would that work? A good cure, then a dry rub before hitting the dehydrator, drying real good, then hitting it with a 25% of PS and storing in paper bag?

If you are making a pork loin into pork jerky, I would cut the loin into lengths you want the jerky strips... say, 4-5" or so... Then I would slice it to "finished" strips... allow for shrinkage... or slice on a meat slicer and make jerky rounds...
Are you doing a dry rub or marinade on the meat...
Dry rub, add 2% kosher salt, 1% sugar and 0.25% cure#1 to your sliced meat.. in a zip bag or lidded container... stir occasionally for 2-3 days in the refer... lightly rinse... Start the jerky in a dehydrator at 160-170 for an hour or two, then reduce the temp to 140 ish until dry to your liking..

If you are making a pork loin into pork jerky, I would cut the loin into lengths you want the jerky strips... say, 4-5" or so... Then I would slice it to "finished" strips... allow for shrinkage... or slice on a meat slicer and make jerky rounds...
Are you doing a dry rub or marinade on the meat...
Dry rub, add 2% kosher salt, 1% sugar and 0.25% cure#1 to your sliced meat.. in a zip bag or lidded container... stir occasionally for 2-3 days in the refer... lightly rinse... Start the jerky in a dehydrator at 160-170 for an hour or two, then reduce the temp to 140 ish until dry to your liking..

Ya, that was the plan. I managed to grab a good deal on whole untrimmed pork loin from my local meat vendor. I picked up a number of them and am going to portion them out for later use and current use. I wanted to look into using 1-2 of them for jerky. I assume you mean in ratio to the meat when you say 2% Kosher salt and such, right? Like if the amount of meat being used was 5 pounds US, then the amount of Kosher salt to be used would be 2% of that weight? And that is just the base, and allowable the addition of added spices, yes? I tend to like my jerky of the hotter/peppery side of things. Thanks for the help Dave, as said, still quite the green horn in the jerky making.

Correct... the salt, sugar and cure are the necessary base ingredients... Spices and herbs are in the category, "Add all you want"....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky