Use or throw out ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grabber

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 3, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Hi Guys. The ??? I have is, I made 10 lbs of seasoned, cured ground pork for sausage, but life being what it is, I had to freeze it. It's now been about a month and I want to defrost and use it.
Anybody see a problem with that. All your help is much appreciated and good luck in your SB pools- LOL. Be safe.

Reactions: JLeonard
Yeah. what's the difference, stuffed in sausage frozen or left bulk? Thanks.

No difference. If stuffed in casings and not vacuum packed you can sometimes get a dried out casing that can be tough, other than that there is no issue freezing sausage. My freezer is full of them.

I might be a bit confused.

The way I understand it, you mixed the sausage meat with spices and cure. Never stuffed it, froze it, and now you want to thaw it out and stuff it into casings?

If that's the case, you should be fine thawing it (in the fridge), and then stuffing. Check your consistency, you might need to add a bit more water.

From a food safety standpoint I can't see a problem with this.

Hi Guys. The ??? I have is, I made 10 lbs of seasoned, cured ground pork for sausage, but life being what it is, I had to freeze it. It's now been about a month and I want to defrost and use it.
Anybody see a problem with that. All your help is much appreciated and good luck in your SB pools- LOL. Be safe.
Are you saying that you mixed the sausage then froze right away? Meaning no time for the cure to work?

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge you likely have forgotten more about cure than I'll ever know.

If this is indeed the case, would it still be okay to thaw it and leave it overnight (after thawing) to let the cure do it's thing?

My understanding is that it's heat that shortens the runway for cure. Freezing should just slow (stop) the process. So I think this should still work but that's just a working theory.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokinEdge SmokinEdge you likely have forgotten more about cure than I'll ever know.

If this is indeed the case, would it still be okay to thaw it and leave it overnight (after thawing) to let the cure do it's thing?

My understanding is that it's heat that shortens the runway for cure. Freezing should just slow (stop) the process. So I think this should still work but that's just a working theory.
Agree

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Thanks. That corroborates my theory. Just think the original question got lost in the shadows so wanted to verify.
With ground meat this is fine. Nitrite works directly on the meat and does so down to freezing temps, which with salt is closer to 28* than 32* and since the cure is mixed all through the meat as small particles it will work. Plus a refrigerator thaw kind of starts the process back up but most of the nitrite will already be converted by then. Whole muscle or 1-2” cubed meat would be a different story.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky