Upgrade Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for fixing the "new threads" section on the home page!

If I could be so bold as to ask for one small thing more? So, when you had the "new posts" section in that real estate I didn't care for it, but one feature I DID really like was the option to select the next 5 or 10 or whatever posts. I wonder if this could be added to the new threads section now in its place. I will illustrate in the attached picture.

I think this would be really useful for those of us who like to stay kept up on all the new threads, but don't necessarily have the ability to login frequently enough to keep up with every new thread posted. Plz to see attached pic! :-D

Screenshot_20191105-215116_Chrome.jpg

The circled are is what I'm requesting at the bottom/top of the new threads section.

Also; attaching pictures now only gives the [\ATTACH=] forum code where as the old version actually showed the attached picture when typing the new message like I'm doing right now. This will be problematic for those attaching multiple pictures making sure the correct pictures are attached as the number code in the forum code does not match the file name.

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Well Let's say I want to print a recipe that is White Text on a Black Background.
A non-computer brain (Like Mine) would say it would print white text on white paper.
In other words Nothing readable.

But if I could push one button to change it to Black Text on white background, I could just do that.

I know I have copied and pasted from Black backgrounds, and The text was missing on the page, until I change my Text color on my 'Puter.

Bear

Hi Bear. In general the print out would also print the black background as well so the white text would still be surrounded by black background.
If you just copied and pasted, well that depends on what you are pasting into. If you paste into a pure text editor like Notepad (or superior Notepad++) then no text color or formatting will be applied. If you copy and paste into Microsoft Word or WordPad well all bets are off there. In that case you would just select/highlight all the text and change the font color to black (a quick and easy way to Select All is to press Ctrl + 'A' keys and that will highlight everything on the page in one shot).

Just doing a regular print of the page though should be ok. Printers are designed to attempt to print what you are seeing so if it is white on black then you get that. Now white on white that would be a challenge hahaha :)

Can you send a screenshot of what you're seeing? It shouldn't be that much space and if there is, we're aware of a bug on iPad at this time. Are you on a desktop? If so, what browser and operating system?
I don't know how to do a screenshot, I'm using the latest windows on a laptop using fire fox.
I'll see if my wife can help me send a screenshot.
Actually it appears to be full screen now, if it goes back to the poem like threads I will take a picture of it with my phone and post it. I realize that it is most likely just new update growing pains and that most of them will be resolved within a few days. Thank you for your attention.
Dan

Reactions: hellasteph
I am half and half with the upgrade, I really dont like chat at the top of any forum, it takes up alot of screen, need to scroll down to get to the information.

I understand you want people to use it more, but, most people dont, so forcing it at the top just wont make it get used any more than before.

Should be an option.

I am half and half with the upgrade, I really dont like chat at the top of any forum, it takes up alot of screen, need to scroll down to get to the information.

I understand you want people to use it more, but, most people dont, so forcing it at the top just wont make it get used any more than before.

Should be an option.

I agree 100%! RAY

Reactions: radioguy
I'd have to think if a fellow owned the site he could do as he pleased with it, after all, he OWNS it. I still believe there should be a sticky, or something, to lead folks to what it takes to become a Premier member and what the benefits are. Change is inevitable, I'll just roll with the punches. One thing I do miss is the "your content" that was somewhere around the profile page. I used to be able to look up stuff I posted five years ago, now it only goes back a couple of months, I think. Soon this will settle down and everyone will get back to posting things more related to what this site is all about, smokin' meat. RAY

I'd have to think if a fellow owned the site he could do as he pleased with it, after all, he OWNS it. I still believe there should be a sticky, or something, to lead folks to what it takes to become a Premier member and what the benefits are. Change is inevitable, I'll just roll with the punches. One thing I do miss is the "your content" that was somewhere around the profile page. I used to be able to look up stuff I posted five years ago, now it only goes back a couple of months, I think. Soon this will settle down and everyone will get back to posting things more related to what this site is all about, smokin' meat. RAY

Click on the gear like icon on the top right of your screen then click on "your content" it should be on the left side of the box about the second line down and see if that is what you are looking for

Still a problem with using the iPad. When you click on the forums button or smokingmeatforums.com button the screen my I pad freezes up. It seems to do this when the ads pop up. All the other buttons seem to work properly.

just noticed when I click on either of those two buttons it move to the forum button and freezes.

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that it takes six weeks for changes to become second nature. I'm getting used to the format. I used to press the "Recent Posts" button daily, but have already figured out how to find them ("x" out of the "show only: participated" at the top of the posts list after pressing "New Posts.")

BTW, I just noticed hellasteph is a "Meat Popsicle." I can't stop laughing...and now I have to go watch one of my all-time guilty pleasure sci-fi movies.

I gotta agree with others:
The "Alerts" are almost Impossible to read, especially the Red on Black & the Gray on Black.
Gives me an instant headache!

Bear

In the mobile version it would be nice to reduce the size of the header banner if possible as it takes up a lot of real estate on phone.
I second reducing the header banner. It takes up a third of the usable space on my mobile. When my keyboard pops up, either to reply to a post or to use chat, I have half of my screen available. With that half there's a header banner, an equally sized, small space for my text and a banner ad. (The ad can be closed out, but comes back and has to be closed repeatedly to maximize what little screen space there is. Text types underneath the ad so either scroll or you can't see what you're typing. )

I can't see any of the previous posts or chat conversation as I type. And, I have to scroll through a 1 inch area of my own text to review what I'm typing to post. Changing to desktop mode on my mobile doesn't help. As it stands, it is really difficult to use and enjoy the site on my mobile device, which it's my primary choice for online activity.

Previously, I put smf in desktop mode on my mobile and zoomed in on chat box to use it, after opening the popup at the bottom right of the screen.

I can't take a screenshot with the keyboard up but with the attached photo, please imagine the lower half as all keyboard up to "new threads" and a banner ad on top of that.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191105-160512_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191105-160512_Chrome.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Click on the gear like icon on the top right of your screen then click on "your content" it should be on the left side of the box about the second line down and see if that is what you are looking for

Thanks PW! I'd have never thought to look there, nothing happens when the cursor hovers over it. RAY

Should be an option.
I agree with Jab. Is there an option for customization of your home page? Chat not important to this Smartphone user.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky