Upgrade Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's exactly what I was looking for. Should answer Al's questions as well. Thank you for adding it!

Is there a way to edit the unanswered threads and the hot threads sections you added on the home page? The unanswered threads to the newest ones as they get posted and the hot threads to the most viewed or commented on recently or that which received the most likes recently? Would make it very similar to the old format. I apologize I am not trying to be difficult just figured I would ask!

A couple of other things I've noticed that have me curious:

-The carousel no longer scrolls through by itself. Not the end of the world but I kinda enjoyed that feature

-There are now only 5 spaces on the carousel versus 10 previously. Is this permanent?

-In our personal information box at the top right of the page, it no longer lists the number of featured threads you have had.That was another feature I enjoyed.

-In the forum itself, when a thread was featured there was a note beside it stating that it had been featured. That note is no longer there. I looked at several other threads that had been featured and they do not have that notification either.

The only reason I'm noticing this stuff centered around the carousel and featured threads is that I posted a beautiful meal yesterday morning that was featured immediately. It is no longer there so that just kinda got me looking at other aspects of things.

Trying to get used to the new format,
Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
One thing that I noticed is in my Mega Mother of all Cooking links Index, all of the formatting is gone (different text colors, etc...) Not a big deal. Just have to go back and reformat the text.

Is there a way to edit the unanswered threads and the hot threads sections you added on the home page? The unanswered threads to the newest ones as they get posted and the hot threads to the most viewed or commented on recently or that which received the most likes recently? Would make it very similar to the old format. I apologize I am not trying to be difficult just figured I would ask!

I'm not clear on what you're asking. Are you asking to rename the titles that is visible? Or are you asking for different ways of showing the threads? I'm really confused.

-The carousel no longer scrolls through by itself. Not the end of the world but I kinda enjoyed that feature

It does scroll on its own, don't hover over it with your mouse and it will auto-scroll. If it detects your mouse over it, it will stop because it thinks you're trying to read it or click on it.

-There are now only 5 spaces on the carousel versus 10 previously. Is this permanent?

The staff will need to feature more content if you want 10 spaces, it's not stuck on 5 if that's what you're asking.

-In our personal information box at the top right of the page, it no longer lists the number of featured threads you have had.That was another feature I enjoyed.

That's likely a custom feature or something that needs to be enabled. At this time, we're fixing functionality issues before we move onto requests. Thanks for understanding!

The only reason I'm noticing this stuff centered around the carousel and featured threads is that I posted a beautiful meal yesterday morning that was featured immediately. It is no longer there so that just kinda got me looking at other aspects of things.

Simply request that your thread be featured again. When we updated, the old carousel software was not carried over (not us, the developer no longer offered the software so we had to move onto a different one) thus we've had to repost everything.

I'm not clear on what you're asking. Are you asking to rename the titles that is visible? Or are you asking for different ways of showing the threads? I'm really confused.

I apologize. On the old home screen as new threads were posted they would come in and they would post right where you added the unanswered threads section under the chat. The only thing showing up in that section now are threads that have been unanswered. I guess I am asking if there is a way to post the newest threads as they come in instead of just unanswered ones.

Reactions: hellasteph
I apologize. On the old home screen as new threads were posted they would come in and they would post right where you added the unanswered threads section under the chat. The only thing showing up in that section now are threads that have been unanswered. I guess I am asking if there is a way to post the newest threads as they come in instead of just unanswered ones.

Can you check now? I set it to show all New Threads in the last 5 minutes.

Can you check now? I set it to show all New Threads in the last 5 minutes.

Looks like that fixed it! Thank you!

The only other thing I would suggest would be to update the hot threads section on the right side of the screen. It looks like its showing the hottest threads on the history of the website. I am not sure how the old format calculated it but it seemed like it was either the most viewed, most liked, or most commented on in the last 30 days or something similar to that. Maybe chilerelleno chilerelleno could expand and help me out with that part as he mentioned liking that part from the old format.

Looks like that fixed it! Thank you!

The only other thing I would suggest would be to update the hot threads section on the right side of the screen. It looks like its showing the hottest threads on the history of the website. I am not sure how the old format calculated it but it seemed like it was either the most viewed, most liked, or most commented on in the last 30 days or something similar to that. Maybe chilerelleno chilerelleno could expand and help me out with that part as he mentioned liking that part from the old format.

Fixed it to only show the hottest threads in the last 5 days.

I think I found what I was looking for:
I clicked on my Avatar.
Then clicked on "Find".
Then chose the "Find all Threads by Bearcarver".

Bear
bear, if you didn't find it yet, you can also just click forums and click your threads, they all come up

I'd like to ask if any adjustments can be made to zooming in pictures. Is not so good currently :-)

Also, I don't think "hottest" or "unanswered" threads are what's being requested.

The old page basically showed "last 5 created threads"

Another issue I just found is that when creating a post, if you type in the user name of a person you want to see the thread, the user name is no longer propagated when you start typing it in. This can be tough as there are so many different names folks use that are so close. It was nice that a short list popped up on the screen and you could just click on the person you wanted to tag.

Robert

Reactions: fivetricks
I just made a discovery that I thought I should share. I came here early this morning, saw the upgrade, and everything was working fine but only had a couple of minutes. When I got home from work I came back here and hit a huge snag. Every time I clicked on a thread, whether it be in the forum or my alerts, I got redirected to a browser page with a bunch of code on it, not the thread. Had this same problem on my home computer and my phone. I am not a tech guy so this was perplexing to me but I took a long shot: went into my browser settings and cleared the browser history. That solved it....thank God. Cleared up both the computer and the phone. I guess the new format had some conflict with the old cookies.

Thought I should share,
Robert

I don't think that was the problem, Robert.
I had the same thing, and I notified a couple people.
Then I got off for a few hours, and when I got back on, it seems to be fixed.
I think Steph & the Troops fixed whatever it was, because I didn't do anything on my end.
The timing of them fixing it just made it look like clearing your browser fixed it.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky