Update to yesterday post about the Brisket Flat, please critique me

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chonch

Original poster
May 17, 2019

Link to previous post

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-smoke-7lb-flat-any-tips.287099/#post-1957580

So ended up with this 7lb flat

- Rubbed with Eat BBQ "The Most Powerful Stuff", rest for 30 min after
- pecan wood had my OK Joe Highland to about 225
- smoked for 5.5 hours to 160 internal
- wrapped and back in at 250-260
- took off at 200, overall about 8.5 hours total, wrapped in towel in cooler for 2 hours
- sliced and this is how she looks

Flavor is Amazing, it's super tender and pulls with ease, looks little dry but has some moister. Think this was due to not enough fat on it to begin with. Overall happy with my 2nd one. Picked up true full one today 15lbs

Critique away please always looking to improve

Looks darn tasty from where I'm sitting.
I always thought my first few briskets were a tad dry (probablyy because they were...lol...)
This changed when I started paying a bit more for a better grade meat...
Flavor and texture and such were spot on but always a bit dry with the lesser grades.
When i found a good local(ish) source for prime grade those concerns immediately went away...
You're probable right about the fat...
Moisture and juiciness has everything to do with interior muscular fat content (marbling) and not alot to do with the "fat cap"
You cant coax moisture out of (or into) a piece of meat if it isnt there to begin with.
Walt.

I always thought my first few briskets were a tad dry (probablyy because they were...lol...)
Flavor and texture and such were spot on but always a bit dry with the lesser grades.
When i found a good local(ish) source for prime grade those concerns immediately went away...
Moisture and juiciness has everything to do with interior muscular fat content (marbling) and not alot to do with the "fat cap"
You cant coax moisture out of (or into) a piece of meat if it isnt there to begin with.
Walt.
I generally agree, that said you can help with injects of broth or even better a commercial inject that also contains phosphates. I love the Butcher Block prime brisket inject.

OP, the flat looks tasty, nice smoke ring and was probably delicious!

Reactions: jokensmoken
I generally agree, that said you can help with injects of broth or even better a commercial inject that also contains phosphates. I love the Butcher Block prime brisket inject.

Absolutely correct...I love butchers bbq brisket injection and always keep some meat phosphate on hand for injecting...
Walt

Reactions: Chonch and jcam222

Link to previous post

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-smoke-7lb-flat-any-tips.287099/#post-1957580

So ended up with this 7lb flat

- Rubbed with Eat BBQ "The Most Powerful Stuff", rest for 30 min after
- pecan wood had my OK Joe Highland to about 225
- smoked for 5.5 hours to 160 internal
- wrapped and back in at 250-260
- took off at 200, overall about 8.5 hours total, wrapped in towel in cooler for 2 hours
- sliced and this is how she looks

Flavor is Amazing, it's super tender and pulls with ease, looks little dry but has some moister. Think this was due to not enough fat on it to begin with. Overall happy with my 2nd one. Picked up true full one today 15lbs

Critique away please always looking to improve

Walt.

Thanks and that makes a lot of sense. I'll def look into injecting next time!

Thanks I was really happy with the smoke ring. Love my OK Joe ever since I made a bunch if mods that really made a huge difference.

Def going look into injecting next time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky