1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

"Whole beef brisket" my ass, attempting to smoke 7lb flat any tips?

Discussion in 'Beef' started by Chonch, May 17, 2019 at 9:01 PM.

1. Chonch

Chonch Newbie

Basically picked up this on sale for $2.99 lb
    Dont usually do brisket(2nd attempt) because of the price here in the North East. Saw price and grabbed biggest 2 they had, didnt realize it was only the flat.

Any tips for just the flat. Plans are 225 superslow, wrap around 160-170 deg until 195-200, towel and cooler for 2-3 hours.

Edit/Update - 5.5 hours @ 215-225 last night, hit 160 and wrapped it up. Seemed to be doing well, nice coloring and moister on it. Hoping power through the stall and get to 199 soon. Thanks for the tips

Thanks!!![​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 5:42 AM
  2. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I’d inject the heck out of it with broth.

Chonch likes this.
  3. As above, wrap closer to 150, so as to avoid unnecessary moisture loss, and allow to stand in ( tight) wrap for at least 4 hrs in a hot box or 160 after it is tender...

Chonch likes this.
  4. foamheart

foamheart Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Patience, low and slow and judge how done it is by the feel with you pick it up. There is no good way to hurry a brisket.

Chonch likes this.
  5. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

In the north east go to Walmart for brisket. Full packers are usually in the $2.79 a pound range. Same thing at Giant foods is $7.99 a pound.

6. Chonch

Chonch Newbie

Thanks I'll check it out! That's why I grabbed this at 2.99

7. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Good luck!!
    Al