"Whole beef brisket" my ass, attempting to smoke 7lb flat any tips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chonch

Original poster
May 17, 2019
Basically picked up this on sale for $2.99 lb
Dont usually do brisket(2nd attempt) because of the price here in the North East. Saw price and grabbed biggest 2 they had, didnt realize it was only the flat.

Any tips for just the flat. Plans are 225 superslow, wrap around 160-170 deg until 195-200, towel and cooler for 2-3 hours.

Edit/Update - 5.5 hours @ 215-225 last night, hit 160 and wrapped it up. Seemed to be doing well, nice coloring and moister on it. Hoping power through the stall and get to 199 soon. Thanks for the tips

Thanks!!!
jf6XVPD

Last edited:
As above, wrap closer to 150, so as to avoid unnecessary moisture loss, and allow to stand in ( tight) wrap for at least 4 hrs in a hot box or 160 after it is tender...

Reactions: Chonch
In the north east go to Walmart for brisket. Full packers are usually in the $2.79 a pound range. Same thing at Giant foods is $7.99 a pound.

Thanks I'll check it out! That's why I grabbed this at 2.99

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky