Update to the smokecrate..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2009
Summerville, SC
So I have been messing with propane, chunks, charcoal, lump and everything else to make good smoke. I was on the fence about getting an AMS or waiting to find a hotplate at Goodwill. Well fortune came my way today when I spotted a dual burner hotplate headed for the dumpster. I inquired and it turns out that it hadn't been used in years, at least since we started using electric skillets and griddles to do the occasional breakfast at work. I wasted no time snatching up this little find and scurried home to see how it would do.

A little alternating current and some hickory bits and we were off on another maiden voyage...
77f5e421_037.jpg

a52803b8_038.jpg

03759a04_040.jpg

and here's a nice shot of snowy Four Peaks Mountain overlooking the upper Sonoran Desert...

60abe47f_129.jpg

Amazing what some folks throw out...

Nice back yard too!

Craig

sweet find........lookin' good pete! i was going to go play up @ the peaks but never made it. just as well cuz i heard it was packed with fools and a ton of ice........even the rock crawlers were turnin' back.

No kiddin! Hotplates are less than 20 bucks brand new but there's just that little something about going on a quest a and finding what you seek!

We took the kids up to Payson to play in the snow and ended up going up to Pine and Strawberry also. It sure is nice to be able to go to the snow and play and return to the sunshine in an hour..

sweet find........lookin' good pete! i was going to go play up @ the peaks but never made it. just as well cuz i heard it was packed with fools and a ton of ice........even the rock crawlers were turnin' back.

Looking good, toss some lava rock in the bottom under the smoking wood for a difuser so it don't burn so quick. I've done this and forgot to post it.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Looking good, toss some lava rock in the bottom under the smoking wood for a difuser so it don't burn so quick. I've done this and forgot to post it.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Good tip... standard "store brand" stuff or should it be a little smaller?

icon_cool.gif

Yep I have a single hotplate and I cna get smoke at about 70° and it works great for sausages and bacon too. Those are some pretty mountian tops for sure. I have been though Arizona a couple of times when I was skating. We used to skate some 22' ft  pipes way back when. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky