Unstuffed Smoked Beef Pepperoni Sticks with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Grocery store had 73/27 ground beef on sale for .99 cents per pound so I decided to give this recipe a go.

Despite what seems like a small amount of seasoning these beef sticks have strong flavor!  But good flavor!  Like pepperoni -close enough to call it good.  They firm up very nicely, and can even be boiled and put into a bun if desired (but don't boil too long).  

What surprised me was how salty they were.  Not a complaint, I am just sensitive to salty food and the recipe doesn't really have that much TQ (maybe its the seasoning that makes it seem more salty?).  All in all the flavor is great.  Kind of reminds me of a polish sausage but pepperoni tasting fresh out of the smoker, and cold the texture of a beef summer sausage that slices wonderfully.  I did lightly smoke mine with mesquite. I am making this again for sure.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the remaining 21 pounds of burger I bought...

ps. The high fat meant that a lot of fat dripped out when smoking, but they had a great texture and not crumbly at all.

Grocery store had 73/27 ground beef on sale for .99 cents per pound so I decided to give this recipe a go.

Despite what seems like a small amount of seasoning these beef sticks have strong flavor!  But good flavor!  Like pepperoni -close enough to call it good.  They firm up very nicely, and can even be boiled and put into a bun if desired (but don't boil too long).  

What surprised me was how salty they were.  Not a complaint, I am just sensitive to salty food and the recipe doesn't really have that much TQ (maybe its the seasoning that makes it seem more salty?).  All in all the flavor is great.  Kind of reminds me of a polish sausage but pepperoni tasting fresh out of the smoker, and cold the texture of a beef summer sausage that slices wonderfully.  I did lightly smoke mine with mesquite. I am making this again for sure.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the remaining 21 pounds of burger I bought...

ps. The high fat meant that a lot of fat dripped out when smoking, but they had a great texture and not crumbly at all.
I'm glad you liked it, A Dog !!!

This one was my first try at sticks, and you might like some of my newer ones more.

The Step by Steps below would be better for you to use. IMHO

My favorite ingredients lists are the ones I used for the bottom two---The Bear Loaf Step by Steps:

Unstuffed Beef Sticks (All Beef)           

Smoked Bear Logs (All Beef)           

Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef)     My Favorite Ingredients amounts list.

Smoked Mini-Bear-Loaves (All Beef)        My 2nd Favorite ----Same percentages of Ingredients as bigger loaves.

Bear

Last edited:

I'm glad you liked it, A Dog !!!

This one was my first try at sticks, and you might like some of my newer ones more.

The Step by Steps below would be better for you to use. IMHO

My favorite ingredients lists are the ones I used for the bottom two---The Bear Loaf Step by Steps:

Unstuffed Beef Sticks (All Beef)           

Smoked Bear Logs (All Beef)           

Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef)     My Favorite Ingredients amounts list.

Smoked Mini-Bear-Loaves (All Beef)        My 2nd Favorite ----Same percentages of Ingredients as bigger loaves.

Bear
You deserve credit for all the things you give to this community.  I was unaware you updated/upgraded your recipe.  So to be clear, I should try your bear loaf/mini loaf recipe to make the beef sticks?

Have you ever tried to make a mild summer sausage?  Something like what I used to get from friends in Wisconsin made partially from deer meat?  Hard to describe, but just maybe you have had/made something like it.

But still excellent recipe.  A quick boil makes them juicy and bun-worthy.  Cold they are fantastic.  Really using natural casing is pretty unnecessary, as you have proven, so long as you don't mind them not being perfectly round.

You deserve credit for all the things you give to this community.  I was unaware you updated/upgraded your recipe.  So to be clear, I should try your bear loaf/mini loaf recipe to make the beef sticks?

Have you ever tried to make a mild summer sausage?  Something like what I used to get from friends in Wisconsin made partially from deer meat?  Hard to describe, but just maybe you have had/made something like it.

But still excellent recipe.  A quick boil makes them juicy and bun-worthy.  Cold they are fantastic.  Really using natural casing is pretty unnecessary, as you have proven, so long as you don't mind them not being perfectly round.
Actually the loaves are easier to make, but if you want the unstuffed sticks, just follow the making of the sticks on this thread, but use the ingredients list on either of the Loaf Step by Steps.

Those slices of loaf are great cold too, but when you heat a couple up a little in a pan the flavor multiplies!!!

The reason I updated the recipe----I made the sticks & my Son said they were too bland--No heat.

I agreed, and changed the recipe when I made the Bear Logs.

Then my Son said they were still too mild.

I agreed, and changed the recipe when I made the Bear Loaf.

We both agreed they were just right.

Bear

This is on my "NEXT" list right after candied salmon this coming weekend.  I just ordered a jerky shooter because it makes sense.
Sounds Great !!

Just Yell (PM) if you have any questions.

Bear

Bear these look great.  I am finding so many uses for my MES that I never thought about before.  However. my patience level would never last trying to roll these up in saran wrap.  After about two sticks wrapped I would immediately default to your loafs.

So I bought a jerky shooter after reading all the reviews.  I was skeptical but bought one with an aluminum body.  Figured it would last longer, and I could wash the tube in the dishwasher. Much to my delight, it worked easier than anticipated.

I discovered after the first rack that clipping the mat to the rack before shooting was very useful.  The rack under the mat also helped shoot straight lines.

Stuffing the tube was also made easier by wrapping cling wrap to the bottom.  I also discover the packing of the tube was a lot easier if you first rolled pieces of the meat narrower than the tube diameter and "dropped them to the bottom.  Then packed the final ones in. My shooter came with two tubes.  I followed your directions with five pounds of meat.  I had to reload the tubes once to shoot all the meat.  I'm going to write the company and see if I can purchase an additional two tubes.

All shot up and ready for the heat and smoke......

Last edited:

Bear these look great.  I am finding so many uses for my MES that I never thought about before.  However. my patience level would never last trying tom roll these up in saran wrap.  After about two sticks wrapped I would immediately default to your loafs.

So I bought a jerky shooter after reading all the reviews.  I was skeptical but bought one with an aluminum body.  Figured it would last longer, and I could wash the tube in the dishwasher. Much to my delight, it worked easier than anticipated.

I discovered after the first rack that clipping the mat to the rack before shooting was very useful.  The rack under the mat also helped shoot straight lines.

Stuffing the tube was also made easier by wrapping cling wrap to the bottom.  I also discover the packing of the tube was a lot easier if you first rolled pieces of the meat narrower than the tube diameter and "dropped them to the bottom.  Then packed the final ones in. My shooter came with two tubes.  I followed your directions with five pounds of meat.  I had to reload the tubes once to shoot all the meat.  I'm going to write the company and see if I can purchase an additional two tubes.
That's a Great way to do these sticks!!

This Step by Step was the first one I did, and after this one I used my 5 pound stuffer to shoot them out. That worked pretty good too, but I like your Jerky Shooter Method.

Those are some Great Tips you included too---Should help those who try the Jerky Shooter.

I personally did default to my Bear Loaves. So much easier!!

Let me know how they tasted !!

Bear

Waste not, want not.

When I was cleaning the shooter I had a very small amount of meat left over.  I was just getting ready to fry some sausage for breakfast so I added an "extra".

Can you tell which one it is?  Man, it really tasted good.  I'm going to make a batch of this up and use for making hamburger patties.  The taste was wonderful.  An added feature, in my opinion, is that the meat bound together better.  I may look for a hamburger press so I can make perfect round patties and then freeze them.

Last edited:

Waste not, want not.

When I was cleaning the shooter I had a very small amount of meat left over.  I was just getting ready to fry some sausage for breakfast so I added an "extra".

Can you tell which one it is?  Man, it really tasted good.  I'm going to make a batch of this up and use for making hamburger patties.  The taste was wonderful.  An added feature, in my opinion, is that the meat bound together better.  I may look for a hamburger press so I can make perfect round patties and then freeze them.
LOL--A little more Red than the others.

That's another reason I like to make my Smoked Bear Loaf. They taste Great cold, after they're smoked, but I like to throw a couple slices in a pan until it gets bubbly, and have it with my Eggs.

Comes out similar to your Burger, except it's also smoked.

Bear

Finally finished.  It took longer than I thought it would for these skinny things.  But it was worth the wait.  I'm loving them and trying not to eat all 4 1/2 pounds in a single sitting.

I did make a minor variation in the ingredients.  I thought I had them all, but the fennel was missing.  So I substituted coriander instead. It worked well.  Packaged them all up and into the freezer minus enough to make me happy for a week.  Taking these to work!

Ingredients:

5 lbs Beef (ground--80/20)

7 1/2 level tsp (2 1/2 TBS) of TQ

3 tsp Black Pepper

1 1/2 tsp of Mustard Seed

2 tsp Corriander  (slightly crushed)

1 1/2 tsp of Crushed Red Pepper

1 tsp of Anise Seed

1 tsp of Garlic Powder

1 tsp of Italian Seasoning

6 ounces of ice water

Finally finished.  It took longer than I thought it would for these skinny things.  But it was worth the wait.  I'm loving them and trying not to eat all 4 1/2 pounds in a single sitting.

I did make a minor variation in the ingredients.  I thought I had them all, but the fennel was missing.  So I substituted coriander instead. It worked well.  Packaged them all up and into the freezer minus enough to make me happy for a week.  Taking these to work!

Ingredients:

5 lbs Beef (ground--80/20)

7 1/2 level tsp (2 1/2 TBS) of TQ

3 tsp Black Pepper

1 1/2 tsp of Mustard Seed

2 tsp Corriander  (slightly crushed)

1 1/2 tsp of Crushed Red Pepper

1 tsp of Anise Seed

1 tsp of Garlic Powder

1 tsp of Italian Seasoning

6 ounces of ice water
Nice Job Slotown!!

I'm betting you'll be thawing some out before that week is up!

Bear

My turn to jump on the Bearcarver Pepperoni bandwagon.  I've got a jerky gun arriving in a day or two and can't wait to try these in the WSM.  Will halve the recipe the first time. 

The excited voices in my head are waging a fierce battle.  The engineer is saying "Hey, follow the recipe exactly!"  The Italian is whispering "Whatsamatayou, use iced red wine instead of water."  And a voice I don't even recognize is repeating "Paprika, add some paprika!"  

I'm just listening to all the noise, and boy, does that Italian have a MOUTH on him!  Oy vey! 
sausage.gif

My turn to jump on the Bearcarver Pepperoni bandwagon.  I've got a jerky gun arriving in a day or two and can't wait to try these in the WSM.  Will halve the recipe the first time. 

The excited voices in my head are waging a fierce battle.  The engineer is saying "Hey, follow the recipe exactly!"  The Italian is whispering "Whatsamatayou, use iced red wine instead of water."  And a voice I don't even recognize is repeating "Paprika, add some paprika!"  

I'm just listening to all the noise, and boy, does that Italian have a MOUTH on him!  Oy vey! 
sausage.gif

LOL---Listen to them all, and make some of each.

Just don't forget which was which---Been There, Done That---Long time ago.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear

Last edited:
New jerky shooter worked great!  First batch on right now.  I didn't want to use two levels in the WSM, so I came up with a quick-on-the-fly solution using fire bricks.  We'll see if it works out. 
jaw-dropping.gif
  A few of the sticks fell together so who knows. 

BTW, I couldn't fight the voices in my head.  Couldn't find mustard seeds at my grocer so I used mustard powder.  Used red wine instead of water.  We had a bottle opened and resealed with a vacuum pump.  It was just sitting there waiting to be used for cooking.  And that voice in my head saying "Use paprika" turned out to be some Hungarian hottie I couldn't resist.  Ended up adding 1/2 tsp paprika. 

Trying something new is fun and crazy!

Edit: I just couldn't leave that top one like that.  I used an old grill and put it on top of the bricks to support the top mat. 

Last edited:

New jerky shooter worked great!  First batch on right now.  I didn't want to use two levels in the WSM, so I came up with a quick-on-the-fly solution using fire bricks.  We'll see if it works out. 
jaw-dropping.gif
  A few of the sticks fell together so who knows. 

BTW, I couldn't fight the voices in my head.  Couldn't find mustard seeds at my grocer so I used mustard powder.  Used red wine instead of water.  We had a bottle opened and resealed with a vacuum pump.  It was just sitting there waiting to be used for cooking.  And that voice in my head saying "Use paprika" turned out to be some Hungarian hottie I couldn't resist.  Ended up adding 1/2 tsp paprika. 

Trying something new is fun and crazy!

Edit: I just couldn't leave that top one like that.  I used an old grill and put it on top of the bricks to support the top mat. 
Looks Good----Only thing you might get is pale spots where they are touching each other.

Bear

Looks Good----Only thing you might get is pale spots where they are touching each other.

Bear
Once I put the grate between the bricks, I separated the rows. 

Amazing how it goes from a crap brown to a tasty red color.  7 hours.  Temps were a low of 140F up to a high of 199F before I brought it back down to 175F.  Spent most of the early smoke in the 140-160F range.  Later (last couple hours), in the 175-180F range.  IT was 165F when I took them off. 

Taste?  My wife and daughter are going to love these.  I used cayenne pepper instead of crushed red pepper so they are pretty mild.  I'll set this batch aside for the two of them and will do another batch for me, cranking up the spices and adding just a little bit of salt.  Taste testing I ate three sticks.  A couple more might disappear before my wife gets home this evening. 

Great recipe Bear!  Thanks for posting!

Once I put the grate between the bricks, I separated the rows. 

Amazing how it goes from a crap brown to a tasty red color.  7 hours.  Temps were a low of 140F up to a high of 199F before I brought it back down to 175F.  Spent most of the early smoke in the 140-160F range.  Later (last couple hours), in the 175-180F range.  IT was 165F when I took them off. 

Taste?  My wife and daughter are going to love these.  I used cayenne pepper instead of crushed red pepper so they are pretty mild.  I'll set this batch aside for the two of them and will do another batch for me, cranking up the spices and adding just a little bit of salt.  Taste testing I ate three sticks.  A couple more might disappear before my wife gets home this evening. 

Great recipe Bear!  Thanks for posting!
Looks Great Ray!!
drool.gif

The TQ gives them beautiful Mahogany color.

They better get home soon, if they want some!! 
biggrin.gif

Bear

Because I've never made any kind of casing sausage before this method sounds like just the ticket for a beginner - thanks for the method!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky