Unstuffed Smoked Beef Pepperoni Sticks with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I unwrapped them and put them in my MES for 1 1/2 hours at 100˚ without smoke.
Then I lit both ends of a Hickory filled A-MAZE-N-SMOKER (6" X 6"), and put it in the bottom of my MES30.
After another hour, I bumped the heat up to 110˚.
Then 120˚ for one hour.
Then 130˚ for another hour.
After 3 1/2 hours my A-MAZE-N-SMOKER burned out, so I bumped it up to 150˚, and threw some dust & some Apple chips in my MES chip drawer.

I am finally starting these tonight to put on the smoker on Friday and have a question about the timeline. I am probably reading this wrong but it says they went on for 1 1/2 hours with no smoke, then another hour with smoke, then another hour at 120 and another hour at 130. I have that at 4 1/2 hours, but the next line says at 3 1/2 hours you bumped it to 150. That is confusing, but it's from 2010, when I was just starting to do "Step by Steps". I got better as I got more experience in writing these up. Actually at that point it was 4 1/2 hours in the smoker. However the AMNS ran out of Sawdust after 3 1/2 hours. So I threw some dust & chips in the chip tray, instead of reloading my AMNS. Then I continued bumping the temp up from there.

Does it really matter the times and temps as long as you are starting at a low temp and stepping the temp to maximise the smoke? The temp progress doesn't have to be the same. Once you have the Pellicle, which is the reason for no smoke in the beginning, then if you want you can hold it at 140° or 160° to get lots of time giving it smoke. Then when you want to get it done, jack it up to 180° or even 190° to get Internal temp to your finished temp (160°).

Thanks for your help, I'm really excited to try these. I am using a 50/50 mix of beef and pork, my neighbor is making buffalo with added pork fat at the same time. I'm using a MES 30 and my neighbor a Bradley. Vancouver Island Dark Lager will be consumed while sitting in the smoke and "supervising" the process.

Just yell if you have any more questions (If you PM me I won't miss it).

Bear

How do I stop eating them Bear!? LOL I unthaw a package and it's gone in an hour!

I can't help you there, other than freeze them in small packs, and try to only thaw out one at a time.

I got the same problem.

Bear

I just finished a hybrid batch of these and Bearcarver Bearcarver 's Bear logs. I'm hooked. This will definitely be my go to when I need to clear some ground meat out of the freezer.

My kid got out of bed at 1 am last night and asked if she could have another meat stick. I think that's a good sign!

Since I did a hybrid batch, I posted stuff on his logs thread. My pictures and observations can be found here:https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...s-slightly-hot-bearcarver-qview.103811/page-6

That's Great, Preacher Man!!
Sounds like she really likes them!!
I'm real glad to hear that!

Bear

I gotta tell you, around my house, we don't like too much heat.

So when I first made a batch of BearLoaf, I made it flatish and froze it as I didn't have my smoker ready yet.

Then I made some 2lb loafs and they were a bit much for me for sandwich meat.
So on BearCarver's advice, I made his pepper stix recipe, and even reduced the pepper, and it made a nice sammie loaf.... tasted similar to summer sausage.

Well, a couple weeks ago, I dug out that flat of original "Loaf" and thawed it, tossed it into the smoker with some other meat.

once it was done, I just froze it whole.

one day making pasta, (my wife likes veggie sauce, mine HAS TO have meat) I fried up that flat loaf, and cubed it and put in in my sauce!

All I can say is WOW! Does it ever kick up Pasta a few notches!
Ima making more just like that! About 3/4" think in a big flat loaf, and smoke it for pasta sauce!

MMMMM.... Good!

Thanks BearCarver for your input on this site!

I made these and the loaves a couple years ago and I loved them.............everybody loved them. I wonder how they would work in a small hot rod casing? I am going to make them again and think I will try it both ways.

I made these and the loaves a couple years ago and I loved them.............everybody loved them. I wonder how they would work in a small hot rod casing? I am going to make them again and think I will try it both ways.

Thank You Kilroy!!
That should work Fine!!
I would guess the cased ones would look a lot Prettier, but the unstuffed ones will be more Tasty. Please report back with results.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: kilroy
Thank You Kilroy!!
That should work Fine!!
I would guess the cased ones would look a lot Prettier, but the unstuffed ones will be more Tasty. Please report back with results.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear
I am not worried about the pretty, just trying to figure a way out of not having to roll 10 pounds of these individually, (I am lazy). I am just wondering if the smoke will penetrate the casings good, therefore the experiment. I love the flavor of these and have to say it is one of the best recipes I have come across. My neices and nephews hit me up for some awhile back and I was out so I am going to try it again soon. Looks like we might have time for some of these projects now if the supplies are available. Thanks again.

Real nice job on them pepperoni sticks. I wonder how some F-LC Bactoferm would work in the recipe..Hmmmmm

I am not worried about the pretty, just trying to figure a way out of not having to roll 10 pounds of these individually, (I am lazy). I am just wondering if the smoke will penetrate the casings good, therefore the experiment. I love the flavor of these and have to say it is one of the best recipes I have come across. My neices and nephews hit me up for some awhile back and I was out so I am going to try it again soon. Looks like we might have time for some of these projects now if the supplies are available. Thanks again.

If you're actually Lazy, like me, try one of the ones below.
Same Mix, only much easier & no stuffing:
Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef)
Smoked Mini-Bear-Loaves (All Beef)

Bear

Real nice job on them pepperoni sticks. I wonder how some F-LC Bactoferm would work in the recipe..Hmmmmm

Probably, but I'm picky with my mixes.
I never put anything in any of mine, other than Meat & Seasonings, and TQ of course.
Thanks Rick.

Bear

I have tried the Smoked Bear Loaf and that gets a 2 thumb up also. I love Anise and the fact that it has Anise seed and Fennel really makes these recipes stand out. Thanks Bearcarver.

Thank You!
That's Great, Kilroy!!
I'm glad you're enjoying them!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky