Unsmoked Pastrami Experiment, gelatin injection

Discussion in 'Beef' started by mdboatbum, Aug 26, 2014.

1. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Picked up a corned piece of brisket flat on sale the other day. Decided to try something I've been wondering about. I decided to inject it with a mixture of beef broth and gelatin. Ideally, I wanted to try this one a regular, uncured brisket, but this was on sale, so I went with it. Since collagen breaks down into gelatin, I was thinking adding a little extra might not be a bad thing.

Anyway, onto the pics.

[​IMG]

Not a bad deal, got it on the day it expired. Since it's cured, I wasn't too worried.

[​IMG]

Soaked for 24 hours with 3 or 4 water changes to get rid of the salt.

[​IMG]

Rubbed it with a mixture of salt, pepper, coriander, juniper, bay, mustard seed and clove.

[​IMG]

Ready to go in the oven. (Sorry, but nobody was around and I didn't feel like sitting around the park by myself for several hours)

[​IMG]

Didn't get any pics of the injection, but it was 1 package unflavored gelatin in 2 cups beef broth. Gelatin was bloomed and melted according to the directions. I injected immediately before I put it in the oven, so wasn't worried about a slightly warm injection.

[​IMG]

took it out at 170ish and wrapped it in parchment paper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final temp was 203. It was delicious. Quite juicy and tender. The gelatin may or may not have made a difference, but I've had a hard time with flats in the past. always came out dry. Oven temp was 325˚, total time was right around 3 hours. Meat was 2.54lbs. I'd say it was a success.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Cool idea. I'd be curious if there is signs of the gelatin, and the taste/mouth feel when its eaten cold.

3. mdboatbum

I was curious about the same thing, but didn't really notice it in a sandwich yesterday. My wife had one and heated up the pastrami and said it was still really juicy. What I should have done is cut the thing in half and injected only one half, but I didn't think of it.

4. mdboatbum

The more I think about it I think the gelatin did make a difference. While it was hot, there was definitely more of a lip smacking unctuous mouth feel than I've had with other pastrami I've made from flats. When it was cold, it was maybe a tad firmer than usual, but not a huge difference. With a point I don't think it would make as much of a difference and probably wouldn't be necessary. Definitely going to try this one again and do a side by side comparison.

5. That looks amazing.  Thanks for the experiment and the pics!!!

Scott