Uncured Ham Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cpackmom

Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
We smoked a pork ham roast (2" thick) yesterday, tasted wonderfully, but it's very dry. I rubbed it with a nice rub that had the typical spices with a bit of brown sugar. Internal temp of the ham roast was 180°. Then let it rest. Is it dry because of the type of roast??? Smoked it to long???? Would injecting it help??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: JLeonard
By ham roast I take it you are talking about from the hind quarter of a hog. Was it a wild hog or domestic one? Were you smoking it to slice or for pulled pork?
I see this is your first post Welcome to SMF glad you joined us.

Reactions: Cpackmom
We smoked a pork ham roast (2" thick)
I used to get some that were cross cut from the rear leg , fresh un-cured . We called them " green ham " 2 inches thick , had the cross cut of the bone . I never used a therm in those days , but went by shrink around the bone and just gave it a poke with my finger . 185 / 190 should slice nice , or treat it like PP and go to 205 ish .

Reactions: Cpackmom
We smoked a pork ham roast (2" thick) yesterday, tasted wonderfully, but it's very dry. I rubbed it with a nice rub that had the typical spices with a bit of brown sugar. Internal temp of the ham roast was 180°. Then let it rest. Is it dry because of the type of roast??? Smoked it to long???? Would injecting it help??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome aboard. I don't think we have enough info... At 2" thick I'm guessing you got either a butt end or shank end of a ham.(?) Was it marked "ready to cook", or "ready to eat"? OR, was this a fresh ham. If the meat was pinkish is was a cured ham, if it was gray, it was a fresh ham.

Either way a rear leg does not have the same amount of fat that a front leg does, So this is why a Boston butt (front leg) can be cooked until it is pullable and will be moist and tender. A rear leg roast, won't perform the same way.

By ham roast I take it you are talking about from the hind quarter of a hog. Was it a wild hog or domestic one? Were you smoking it to slice or for pulled pork?
It was a domestic pig and the roast was from the hind quarter. I was smoking for pulled pork. Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome aboard. I don't think we have enough info... At 2" thick I'm guessing you got either a butt end or shank end of a ham.(?) Was it marked "ready to cook", or "ready to eat"? OR, was this a fresh ham. If the meat was pinkish is was a cured ham, if it was gray, it was a fresh ham.

Either way a rear leg does not have the same amount of fat that a front leg does, So this is why a Boston butt (front leg) can be cooked until it is pullable and will be moist and tender. A rear leg roast, won't perform the same way.
It was fresh. We cut it ourselves because we couldn't get a butcher. I usually cook the ham roast in the crockpot but thought it'd be better smoked. Its not my favorite cut. I guess I'd go back to crockpot.

Domestic pig, yes from the hind quarter. I was hoping for pulled pork...thanks for the welcome.

I differ with comment above. Here is a pork butt and a pork leg.

Pork Butt

IMG_0650.jpg

Then pulled

IMG_0651.jpg

Pork leg

IMG_0182.jpg

Then pulled

IMG_0183.jpg

Looks to me it pulled just fine.

Warren

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky