Umai help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluebombersfan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 4, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
I am looking to start both the Spanish chorizo and the salami using the premade seasonings that came from Umai. My question is what meat ratios should I use for these? I don’t see anywhere in the instructions what the ratios should be?? Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Made exactly the same using umai spice pack last year and used pork butt. It did turn out good but for me next time will increase heat.felt it needs it. But that's just me.

For my taste I felt it needs it. I felt it was too bland. Got some chorizo at Costco and really enjoyed it. It has nice zip but not too much (canadian taste lol) . Wish I could replicate it but nada so far.

I just realized they don’t give a suggest amount of bactoferm for these seasoning kits either. :emoji_disappointed:
1/4 to 1/2 tsp (your call) mix the bacto with 1/4 cup distilled water with a pinch of dextrose (opt) mix the bacto liquid in last (by hand) Do not add your cure to the bacto liquid, you wont like the results.

1/4 to 1/2 tsp (your call) mix the bacto with 1/4 cup distilled water with a pinch of dextrose (opt) mix the bacto liquid in last (by hand) Do not add your cure to the bacto liquid, you wont like the results.
Quite surprised they don’t give much instructions with the seasoning. I ordered from them assuming they would provide detailed instructions.

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking maybe 1/4 tsp for the chorizo and 1/2tsp for the salami. And see how those turn out.

Last edited:
BBF, All my Umai casing packages came with detailed recipe list for different sausages with meat ratios etc., the seasoning packets have nothing.

BBF, All my Umai casing packages came with detailed recipe list for different sausages with meat ratios etc., the seasoning packets have nothing.
I did get those recipe cards as well. Great looking recipes! Probably should have just tried those ones! Either way things are coming along well! The pepperoni from a few weeks ago is at 28% weight loss can’t wait!

I love trying new recipes and tweaking them all the time. I think most of us do and that’s why we enjoy cooking so much! Making things exactly how we like them. In my opinion the most important part of a sausage recipe is the ratio of beef / pork / fat or a combination of those. For Umai to send out a seasoning pack without a recommended meat ratio or even suggested amount of bactoferm seems a little weak.

Last edited:
UMAi pre mixed seasoning packets for salumi are for a 5lb batch. The UMAi salt/cure 2 packet is also for 5 lbs.
NOTE: The pre mix packets do not include enough salt for a 5 lb batch, you must add salt.

UMAi pre mixed seasoning packets for salumi are for a 5lb batch. The UMAi salt/cure 2 packet is also for 5 lbs.
NOTE: The pre mix packets do not include enough salt for a 5 lb batch, you must add salt.
BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker
Rick, what is your target salt ratio for dry cured salumi? 3%??? And do you count the salt in the cure towards this ratio? Thanks.

BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker
Rick, what is your target salt ratio for dry cured salumi? 3%??? And do you count the salt in the cure towards this ratio? Thanks.

IDS, I used the 3% ratio on my last chorizo( 65 g off the top of my head) and found it a bit too salty. My notes are to cut the salt in half for my next batch.

IDS, I used the 3% ratio on my last chorizo( 65 g off the top of my head) and found it a bit too salty. My notes are to cut the salt in half for my next batch.
I'm wondering if the 3% I see so often in dry cure recipes is the target ratio after drying, or if this is the starting ratio....I know dry cured meats get saltier as they dry....

I'm wondering if the 3% I see so often in dry cure recipes is the target ratio after drying, or if this is the starting ratio....I know dry cured meats get saltier as they dry....
IDS, Looking at the Umai info that came with my casings it appears to be the starting ratio. If I look at the different recipes they have , the quanity of salt asked for is all over the map for the different salamis.

BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker

I never really went by % i just gram it out or go by taste. I like raw meat so i can get the right taste without doing a fry test.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky