UMAi Capicola

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
popcorn.gif

Rick, I hope you have better luck than I have had with the last two butts I bought. The way they were cut meant there was very little of the "money" cut to use for capicola. I have had great success with the Umai bags in the past.    

Rick, I hope you have better luck than I have had with the last two butts I bought. The way they were cut meant there was very little of the "money" cut to use for capicola. I have had great success with the Umai bags in the past.    
Yes i have noticed that some of the butts are not as normal as we have had before. This butt has been in the freezer for bout 3 months. The UMAi bags have proven to be really good, i been using them for a few years now.

Getting the dry all measured out.

Top left (clockwise)
2 bay leaves (crushed)
1 tsp thyme
5 juniper berries smooshed
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp garlic
5 T kosher salt
3/4 tsp cure 2
2 T course black pepper
1.5 T sugar (in the middle)

All mixed together. I didnt put this in the spice mill as i want the old world look to it.

BBL with the mix applied to the meat. This will be in a vac bag and fridge to cure for 7-9 days before i put into the UMAi bag.

The cure mix applied to the meat. Rub in real good in all the nooks, cuts and folds. (i did trim before the rub)

I used a vac bag for the 7-9 day cure time. Doing this will keep the mix close to the meat (yes i know salt draws out moisture and i will have some in the bag)

Dated and weighed. I will rinse and pat dry before putting in the UMAi bag, re weigh and then do the wait.

After the capicola has rested and dried up some i applied a coating of smoked paprika,

Let it sit for 30 mins then gently rubbed the paprika off some. Tied and ready for the UMAi bag.

OHHHH NOOOO

Wont fit into the UMAi charcuterie bag so i made my own from a UMAi brisket bag.

Dated and weighed. Now for the wait. Will weigh it again next week.

Weigh day.

Its working. Yes the UMAi bag is supposed to have those pockets, the meat is shrinking.

Flipped again and back in the fridge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky