1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Ukrainian smoked cheese - brine?

Discussion in 'Smoked Cheese' started by doughboysigep, Mar 14, 2019 at 11:52 AM.

1. doughboysigep

doughboysigep Fire Starter

I had some Ukrainian smoked cheese the other day - after a Google search, I think it was a braided string cheese, and, after another search, I think it was Chechil. It was phenomenal!! I was amazed by the saltiness of the cheese. The cheese, salt, smoke combo was great. Looking at a site for Chechil, it appears that the cheese comes salty. At first I thought it must be brined, but not sure how it gets salty.

What do folks think about using a salt brine on cheese prior to smoking?? I found someone who soaks cheese in cheese cloth then smokes and thinking about trying it.

If you get a chance to have some Chechil, I highly recommend it.

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Fresh Mozzarella is very bland until it gets a swim in Brine. I'm not sure how long but it gives you another place to look...JJ