UK Wiltshire Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HeyBertHeyErnie

Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Hi all, I'm a passionate home cook, who has a sous vide, more kitchen gadgets than you can shake the proverbial stick at, and a real drive to cook everything perfectly at least once.

TBH, I got bored of sous vide steak, and it's more hassle than its worth sometimes. I've always been good at what I used to call BBQ (now I call it charcoal grilling, quick learner me ) I felt BBQ was a gap in my cooking knowledge, I don't like gaps in my cooking knowledge. After much BBQ internet wormholeing, trying to decide whether to brick build, buy kettle, offset, ceramic, make my own flowerpot smoker, you get the idea I saw a really good build post on this site for a brick smoker, but it was huge (the best bloody hole I ever saw). I purchased Jeffs rub and sauce recipes, but still didn't even have a smoker yet. I finally decided to get a Landmark Kentucky offset, and I might even build it creatively based on a few things I've picked up. Either way, I'll be taping joints, and modding thermometers, getting a feel for the whole thing before I design my own brick smoker in the future.

I have a lot on, full time job, ou degree, young son, but I fully intend to post here pretty often, or at least lurk with the odd creative sarcastic comment

Looking forward to getting to know you all, and learning how to BBQ.

Reactions: kruizer
Hi HBHE and welcome to the forum. There is a very active BBQ community here in the UK and a few of us chat on here. It is great that you have decided to explore extending your BBQ skills and hope that you explore them to their full.

I am not sure where in Wiltshire you are but this weekend there is a KCBS BBQ competition taking place at
Red Rock Brewery, Higher Humber Farm, Bishopsteignton TQ14 9TD, where a number of the top UK BBQ teams are competing - including two who have won the KCBS world championship in the USA. Although it has been going on all weekend, today (Sunday) is the main event where the Chicken, ribs, pork and brisket are being judged. Once the competition entries have been submitted there is a lot of food remaining and it is given out by the teams for the public to taste. You will also be able to chat with some of the big names in the UK BBQ scene - they are just normal people like you and me :)
Details of the event can be found here
http://qfest.co.uk/

Later in the year there is the UK Smokers weekend, being held at Billing Aquadrome. This is not a competition and is completely non-commercial and we encourage BBQ newcomers to join us to help improve their techniques.
http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/...and-bbq-weekend-billing-aquadrome-20-22-july/

There is also a UK BBQ online magazine and you can access the back issues from here.
http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/forum/81-uk-bbq-magazine/

Looking forward to seeing your cook photos and if you do make it down today then please ask for myself (Wade) or Marcus and we can introduce you to some of the teams. Marcus will be around all day but I will be unavailable in the judging tetent for several hours during the day.

Cheers, Wade

Welcome to the site glad to have join.

Chris

Thanks Chris, and Wade, thanks for all that useful info. Teignemouth is just a bit too far for me today, even on Father's day! I'll definitely look into those links though.

Welcome to the site from California, look forward to seeing your cooks. With your experience it will be nice seeing what sides you pair with grilled food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky