UK build.....all done...I think...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I may cut it open in the next few days, and get properly started! I just need to get some hinges made before I cut.

I have 5 wheels coming for it, all with ok tyres.

The axle is off a military trailer. Rated at 1500kg. All the brakes are like new, so I'm guessing it wasn't used much.

I'm not planning on going long distances, we cant go that far in the UK! I'm only planning on going maybe 30 miles max every couple of months.

Just had a thought, I could put something along the top to cover those bosses up. Like half piece of pipe lengthways.

Michael

Hello Micheal.  You have become infected.  NOW you are thinking.  Half a pipe and used for a door stop!  Forget outside the box; throw that da** box away!  We ain't building a box!  Was asking about the axle for castor and camber.  The angle the hub is welded to the axle.  Should be leaning in slightly at the top and leaning in slightly at the front.  Makes the trailer track better behind the tow vehicle, especially at higher speeds.  I have a caravan and I can tell you the British aren't the best at building trailers.  They build a 6 berth caravan to be towed by a Ford Focus.  They are actually dangerous.  Being military I would hope they got it right.  What do you plan to pull it with?  Has to do with weight distribution in placing the axle front to back.  If I am talking cr** to you about things you already know please feel free to tell me.  I am just trying to offer all I can think of.  I just don't know your experience.  I mean no disrespect, nor do I mean to talk to you like someone new if you know what you are doing.  Just trying to help where I can.  Good Luck.  Keep Goin!

Danny

Hello.  I think flange outside helps to keep out rain.  Flange outside and then a seal of high temp silicone can be added to insure no leaks inside or out.  Just a thought.  Good luck.

Danny

I was going to put the flange on the inside of the cook chamber, I think they look cleaner on the outside thay way.
It is slightly more difficult to weld on though as i'd be working from the inside.

I was going to put the flange on the inside of the cook chamber, I think they look cleaner on the outside thay way.
It is slightly more difficult to weld on though as i'd be working from the inside.

With the flange on the inside of the CC, the hinge pin should be above the CC metal..... In, from the edge of the door, 1/8" or more, so the door lifts up.. and doesn't scrape the flange...

Last night I filled it with water and cut it.

I got a bit wet while cutting, but there was no danger of explosion or heating up and warping.

I think I'm going to redo the hinges, the current ones are only tacked on.

Hello.  I have seen hinges made from all sorts.  Pipe and round bar, heavy duty gear chain, flat steel as you have, even heavy duty gate hinges.  Just out of curiosity what do you find is wrong with the current hinges?  They do appear to be lifting the door up and out as Dave suggested so as not to scrape and bind on the flange.  Just curious.  Looking good.  Will be ready to season in no time.  Just another 100 hrs. or so.  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Naw!  Am sure you will get 'er sorted.  Good luck.

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky