Air Receiver Tank Offset Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wet Spaniel

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 10, 2017
Hi folks, I started a thread about my new tank in the reverse flow section but after some reading and research, I've decided I will hopefully turn the (55gallon approx) tank into a standard side firebox smoker - along the lines of the franklin smokers but with a square firebox. This will be a long build - I'm brand new to welding and with other commitments it won't be happening overnight.

I've been doing my calculations and planning via the brilliant calculator tool (thank you Dave) and I do have a query maybe someone could help me with. Due to the relatively small firebox opening I require, would it be more efficient/beneficial for me to place the opening at approximately cooking grate level rather than simply cutting the top section of the firebox to fit a small opening at the base of my tank? I've attached a picture to show what I'm trying to ask - I suppose I'm trying to ask if having the firebox opening and smokestack plenum at the same height as the cooking grate is the best approach.

Thanks in advance, Jonty

Attachments

• Tank.jpeg
    Tank.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Firebox opening.JPG
    Firebox opening.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 38
IMO Making the opening bigger isn't the way to go from the fire box to the chamber. Correct sized air flow vents on the firebox and stack size will allow heat to move into the chamber and cook. Are you planning on making it a reverse flow. I highly recommend the reverse flow for even chamber temps and heat retention with less fuel consumption.

Others may see differently but that's my 2 cents

Boykjo

Last edited:
Welcome to homemade pit building. IMO entry at Grate level is best as it gets you more even temps and allows almost all of grate to be used
In process of building mine I spoke with a few owners of high end pit companies. Every single one said not to follow calculator as it relates to exhaust sizing. Go longer than expected to increase draw and velocity. By doing this you will not need an upper vent on FB.
Pm me and happy to share what I have learned building mine over last 6 months

Sorry I miss understood your drawing. Thought that was just a label on your drawing and this was your opening.
Here's what I was referring to.

Attachments

• Firebox opening.JPG
    Firebox opening.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 25
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 26
Sorry I miss understood your drawing. Thought that was just a label on your drawing and this was your opening.
Here's what I was referring to.

No problem - you can probably tell I'm not a CAD technician!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky