UDS question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john dice

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Starting to think pretty seriously about getting the stuff to start making one. I got a question about the valves.

I notice most UDS have 3-4 holes in the bottom, one with the ball valve and other three capped off.

My assumption is that for real low temp smokes keep the caps on and use the ball valve only. Then remove caps to increase temps? Everything open would achieve the hottest smokes.

Also, just did a craigslist search and found this http://corvallis.craigslist.org/for/1599425306.html

almost tempting to get 2 or 3 for that price. I just talked to the owner and he said the barrels were used for corn oil.

I start out with the 3 valves open, as my temps rise I cap one off, get closer I cap off the second, then the valve is used ta regulate the last one. Most times when I'm ta temp I get by with just the valve, sometimes I uncap one an regulate down the valve.

Easier ta regulate the temps on the way up then it is ta get it to hot an have ta try an cool her off.

For that price I would build one, then again I'm just partial to mine.
icon_wink.gif
Mines a little different than most of the builds but I agree to putting the extra capped off vents on the bottom. If you don't need them there capped off right. I'm curious as to how mine will behave in 120* weather, I just might have to stranglehold it to keep the temps down.
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky